Chapter 3

Ben Kenobi had once described the Mos Eisley spaceport as a 'wretched hive of scum and villainy', but obviously the older man had never seen Jabba's throne room. The vilest, most grotesque aliens were scattered around the room, some smoking and drinking, others just enjoying the entertainment.

Compared to everyone in the room, Artoo and Threepio looked comically small, standing rather tentatively in the doorway. The dimly lit chamber partially illuminated a few drunken couriers as Bib Fortuna, the Twi'lek who had let the two droids in, brushed past them all rather hurriedly. Cautiously, Bib approached his leader, the glorious Jabba the Hutt.

The monarch of the galactic underworld resembled a repulsive blob of bloated fat topped with a maniacal grin. Not to mention, chained helplessly to him was a beautiful female alien dancer by the name of Oola. She looked absolutely miserable.

But most likely the worst of them all, at least in Bib's opinion, was Salacious Crumb, an obnoxious birdlike creature that sat at the foot of the dais where Jabba rested. Taking a deep breath, Bib whispered something in his slobbering Master's ear, jolting slightly as the Hutt began to laugh horribly at the two terrified droids who were beginning to approach him.

Threepio had the decency to bow politely, sending as much of a glare as he could with his metal face, towards Artoo. Basically, he was warning his companion not to do anything to get them disassembled or shut down.

"Good morning," Threepio said nervously.

"Bo Shuda!" Jabba boomed in Huttese.

The robots jumped at the repulsive, loose-skinned villain's voice. "The message Artoo, the message," Threepio urged the astromech.

Artoo whistled immediately, not wasting a second before a light emitted from his dome and produced a pre-recorded holo-message of Luke Skywalker.

"Greetings, Exalted One. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight and friend to Captain Solo. I know that you are powerful, mighty Jabba, and that your anger with Solo must be equally powerful. I seek an audience with Your Greatness to bargain for Solo's life."

Jabba's crowd laughed, knowing the boy was far too eager and naïve. No way would the grand Hutt lord simply give away his prize that he had obtained from the bounty hunter, Boba Fett.

"With your wisdom, I'm sure that we can work out an arrangement which will be mutually beneficial and enable us to avoid any unpleasant confrontation. As a token of my goodwill, I present to you a gift: these two droids."

Threepio jolted at the words. "What did he say!?"

"Both are hardworking and will serve you well..." Luke's message continued as the protocol droid stuttered in disbelief.

"This can't be! Artoo, you're playing the wrong message!" Threepio scolded, beginning to panic. As the hologram disappeared, taking away the casting blue light it had settled around the room, Jabba began to laugh. Bib whispered to his Master in Huttese and Jabba nodded.

"There will be no bargain," The Hutt said, continuing in his native language of the Hutts.

"We're doomed," Threepio murmured pitifully.

"I will not give up my favorite decoration. I like Captain Solo where he is." Jabba laughed hideously and looked toward an alcove beside the throne where, hanging high and flat against the wall, was a carbonized Han Solo.

"Artoo, look! Captain Solo. And he's still frozen in carbonite," Threepio said rather sadly, casting a mournful mood over the two droids. Artoo thought his friend was rather stating the obvious, but again, he was still reassured in Master Luke's plan.