Chapter 8

I walked back to the common room and saw Harry, Ron and Hermione having a heated conversation. "Hey guys!" I said cheerfully. The next thing I know is Hermione jumped on me like a koala. "You're ok! We were so worried sick of you" She exclaimed. Ron added, "Yea, Alv. You just suddenly passed out in class. It scared us." I stick my tongue out playfully and said," Well, I'm ok now. So, how's life without the fabulous me? Bet it sucks." "We just finished our divination homework. Yea, it sucks that you weren't here to give us idea on how we're going to die." Harry said with a hint of playfulness. I laughed and looked at Ron's work," Getting trampled by a hippogriff? I taught you well, Ronald!" I exclaimed, earning an eye roll from Hermione. "You guys seriously needs to start studying! Fourth year is going to be hard..." She rambled. 

Hermione was right. The increase amount of work has become very noticeable this year; classes are getting more challenging as well. The Defense Against Dark Arts class is getting harder. Professor Moody had announced that he would be putting the Imperius Curse on each of us in turn, to demonstrate its power and to see whether we could resist its effects. Hermione protested but Moody explained Professor Dumbledore wants us to know how it feels like. Moody began to beckon students forward in turn and put the Imperius Curse upon them. I watched, one by one, my classmates did the most extraordinary things under its influence.I had a hard time trying to contain my laughter.

"Castillo," Moody growled, "you're next." Crap, I'm screwed.

I moved forward into the middle of the classroom, into the space that Moody had cleared of desks. Moody raised his wand, pointed it at me, and said, 'Imperio!" It was the most wonderful feeling. I felt as if I'm on cloud 9 as every thought and worry in my head seems silly and senseless, all I feel is untraceable happiness. I stood there feeling immensely relaxed, only dimly aware of everyone watching me. And then I heard Mad-Eye Moody's voice, echoing in some distant chamber of his empty brain: Jump onto the desk. . . jump onto the desk...I bent my knees obediently, ready to spring.

Jump onto the desk....Why, though? Another voice had awoken in the back of my brain. Stupid thing to do, really, said the voice.

Jump onto the desk....

No, thanks, said the other voice, a little more firmly. . . no, I don't really want to.

Jump! NOW!

The next thing I felt was pain shooting up from my knees. I had both jumped and tried to prevent myself from jumping - resulting me smashing my kneecaps against the table. "Now, that's more like it!" growled Moody's voice, and suddenly, I felt the empty, echoing feeling in my head disappear. I remembered exactly what was happening, and the pain in my knees seemed to double; I winced in pain. "Look at that, you lot. . . Castillo fought it! She fought it, and she damn near beat it! "We'll try that again, Castillo, and the rest of you, pay attention - watch her eyes, that's where you see it - very good, Castillo, very good indeed! They'll have trouble controlling you!" I blushed, aware that the entire class is staring.

When the class is finally over, I walked out of the room with limping legs, while Hermione and Harry holding me, preventing me to fall. "The way he talks," I muttered, "As if we're going to get attack any seconds." Moody has put the curse on me four times, until I can fought it completely. Harry looked at me understandingly. He also fought the Imperius curse successfully, but resulting a bruised arms due to Moody trying to get him do a handstand. "Uh- Is your name Alvina?" an unfamiliar voice asked. I turned around to see a small second year Hufflepuff boy looking at me curiously. "Yea." I replied. "Cedric Diggory asked me to hand you this." The boy handed me a small piece of parchment and left. Ron said annoyingly," What does Diggory want?" I shrugged and glanced at Hermione. She gave me a, "You better tell me later" look. I nodded.

When we arrived in the entrance hall, we found ourselves unable to proceed owing to the large crowd of students congregated there, all milling around a large sign that had been erected at the foot of the marble staircase. Ron, the tallest of us four, stood on tiptoe to see over the heads in front of them and read the sign aloud to us:

"TRIWIZARD TOURNAMENT THE DELEGATIONS FROM BEAUXBATONS AND DURMSTRANG WILL BE ARRIVING AT 6 O'CLOCK ON FRIDAY THE 30TH OF OCTOBER. LESSONS WILL END HALF AN HOUR EARLY. STUDENTS WILL RETURN THEIR BAGS AND BOOKS TO THEIR DORMITORIES AND ASSEMBLE IN FRONT OF THE CASTLE TO GREET OUR GUESTS BEFORE THE WELCOMING FEAST."

"One more week!" said Ernie Macmillan of Hufflepuff, emerging from the crowd, his eyes gleaming. "I have to tell Cedric..." "Cedric Diggory?" said Ron blankly as Ernie hurried off. " "That idiot, Hogwarts champion?" Ron huffed as they pushed their way through the chattering crowd toward the staircase. "He's not an idiot. You just don't like him because he beats Gryffindor at Quidditch," said Hermione. "I've heard he's a really good student - and he's a prefect." Cedric! I almost forgot I still haven't read the letter. I ignored Hermione and Ron's bickery and mockery and planned to read it when I'm alone. Part of me is really excited to read it. What does he want to tell me? What about Fred? Fred! I haven't talk to him for days...My heart drops at the thought of it. "Alvina?" Harry called. "Yea?" I jumped. How long have I zone out? "You still haven't tell me what Diggory gave you." He said quietly, ignoring Ron and Hermione's never ending argument. "I haven't read it yet." He raised his eyebrows, "Do you like him?" I blushed, "No way, I barely know him." Harry nodded, decided not to push it further which I appreciate it. I faked yawn, "Guys, I'm tired. I'm going back to my dorm and rest." I stated. They all nodded. I rushed back to my room I shared with Hermione. I unfolded the letter as if I'm unwrapping presents on Christmas morning.

Alvina,

I was thinking if you would like to hang out with me tomorrow before the feast. Meet me at the Quidditch field if you want to come.

Cedric

HOLY MOTHER HIPPOGRIFF! I, Alvina Faith Castillo, is getting asked out by a boy! A boy!It feels like it's my birthday...no even better. Like Christmas! I giggled like a six years old school girl. I bet my cheek is as red as a tomato. My thoughts run wild, I didn't even realized Hermione's presence until she let out an awkward cough. I head shot up, smiling like an idiot to her. She jumped on my bed and said, "Spill." "Well, Cedric asked me to hang out with him tomorrow at the Quidditch field before the feast." I replied with giggles constantly coming out of my mouth. Hermione's eyes widened, "OH MY MERLIN! IS THAT A DATE?" She squealed. I hushed her, "Nah..." "Well, you have to write him back, telling him you're going!" She exclaimed. "I don't know..." I said "What do mean you don't know." She asked in confusion. "I don't if I should go..." I replied. I certainly want to go, but what about Fred? At this point, I realized I like Fred more than just a friend. Oh dear...Hermione furrowed her eyebrows, "Do you like someone else?" I nodded. "Who?" She asked. "Fred...?" It sounds like a question more than an answer. Hermione's mouth dropped in an O shape. Somehow, my cheek managed to get redder than it already was. "You're blushing, Alvina! You most definitely like Fred Weasley!" She pointed out. "I don't know! It happened so fast! I never like anyone before. Now, two people at the same time?! This is too much." I buried my face into my pillow. Hermione patted my back softly, "I think you should go, to get to know Cedric better, so you'll see if you truly like him or not." I faced her," What about Fred?" Hermione laughed, "It's so obvious he likes you, too. I forgot to tell you that he panicked when I told the twins you passed out in class. He's been in the hospital wing from the start." The knot in my stomach tightened, "Really?" I find it hard to believe. "Yes, Alv. But I still want you to meet Cedric and consider all options you have, then make a choice." This is what I love about Hermione. She's always deals with problems rationally, and encouraged me to do the same. "You're the best, Mione." I said breathlessly. 

----

Vote/Comment/Share?? :D