Chapter 19

"No classes today, Becky?" Dorian asked, watching her walk into the kitchen, still in her nightie, fuzzy slippers on her feet. "Aren't you going to be late?" He checked the timer on the stove.

"Actually, no, thank goodness," Becky said with a sigh of relief. "My art history professor gave us the day off to finish up our projects. They're due next week."

"Well, that's a bonus, isn't it?" He poured her a cup of coffee. "Nice to get a long weekend every now and then."

"Yeah, that's true. But I'm really glad for it because I'm so far behind on this project," she said, slumping into her chair, overwhelmed.

Crispin and Kell came along then, all dressed up and ready for the day. Seeing her there, in her pjs, Kell frowned. He immediately stalked up to her and placed his large hand on her forehead. "You're not getting sick again, are you, love?" Concern was all over his handsome face.

"Dear God, say it isn't so," Crispin bemoaned, looking over his shoulder at her.

"No, it's nothing like that," she said with a smile, loving every minute of Kelley's undivided attention. "I don't have class today. I'm staying home to work on my project, that's all."

"Ah, good," Kell said, blowing out a breath, relieved to hear it. "Wish I had the day off." Turning around, he placed two slices of bread in the toaster.

"I hear you, man," Dorian said, sitting down at the table, checking the contents of his backpack. "I've got class after class today, hardly even enough time for lunch."

"Yeah, well, such is life," Kell said with a great sigh. "I've got all kinds of crap to do today."

"Busy day ahead for me, too," Crispin added, snatching a slice of Kell's toast, the moment it popped. With a victorious grin, he slathered on a thick coat of blueberry jam. "Classes this morning, then home for a stint before our big gig tonight. What a joke that'll be."

"Get over it, will you?" Kell scoffed, claiming the remaining slab.

"Really? Can I come watch?" Becky asked meekly, taking her chances by interrupting them. Unfortunately, being so enraptured in their conversation, they didn't hear her.

"Yeah, man, we'll be just fine, the three of us," Dorian added.

"You think?" Crispin said sarcastically, gulping down his coffee. "Easy for you to say. All you have to worry about is playing your drums. I have to sing and play lead guitar at the same time. Have I mentioned how much I hate having to do both?"

"Well, what choice do we have?" Kell asked with a withering sigh.

"Um..." Becky tugged on Kelley's sleeve. She couldn't think of anything better than to come watch them play. She hadn't forgotten how incredibly sexy Kelley looked when he played his big black bass guitar.

Watching them play in a bar would certainly brighten up her weekend. It couldn't possibly hurt. Besides, she needed a little cheering up. Ever since the Jax incident the other day, she hadn't been able to shake off the melancholy.

"Ah, fuck, why do females always have a way of breaking up bands?" Crispin complained, absently staring in Becky's direction. Catching himself, he gave his head a quick shake.

"What is it, love?" Kell asked with a furrow to his brow.

"Oh... never mind, it's not important." She shrugged, averting her eyes.

"Right then, see you all tonight." Dorian gathered up his things and walked out the door.

Moments later, Crispin followed suit and took off, leaving Becky and Kell behind in the kitchen.