Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I buried my face in my hands as sobs racked my body. “Luna, I’ll clean up then we’ll go into the living room okay?” She asked softly. The ‘L’ word only made me cry harder. When I nodded, I heard the clattering of the dishes as Jen rushed to get everything in order before she grasped my shoulders and led me into the living room. She helped me settle onto the couch and went to get me a glass of water.

I hated to cry because it made me appear weak. I rarely did it; even in front of my brother, but the pain was way too great for me to keep bottled up. She handed me one of the cushions and let me lean my head on her shoulder as I cried my eyes out. She didn’t even seem to be bothered by all the tears wetting her shoulder; she just continued to stroke my head; once again not asking any questions about my sudden outburst.

Even through my grief, I appreciated the few small things she had done for me in the past couple of hours. This girl next to me who I had first thought was a pain in the ass was quickly growing on me. After what felt like an eternity of nothing but blurred vision and shallow breaths; I finally calmed down enough to take a sip of water.

She looked into my eyes as she spoke. “Do you want to talk about it, Luna?”

I almost started crying again, but my eyes were dry; as if I had run out of tears. “Please stop calling me that, Jen. It hurts.” I said as the words that seemed to have burned themselves into my mind began to play in my head.

I clutched my chest as it tightened with grief. I seriously did not know how much more I could take before this would kill me. She looked at me with a confused expression. It was weird but I felt like I could trust her, even though we’d only bonded for a few hours.

I explained everything to her. From the attack with Ethan to how Logan had snapped at me later on and then finally to how I had gotten the bruises; quoting every word he had said to me with precision. It was surprising; the pain lessened slightly with every word I shared with her.

After I was done; the pain was a little more bearable and now my wolf had begun to respond to me more often. “And that is why for now; you should probably just call me Chelsea. Despite the excellent display of waterworks earlier, I don’t want to be a walking fountain for the rest of the week.” I said finally; truly feeling better from talking to her.

She nodded. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know I was hurting you. But why not just leave? That would be so much easier than staying around and letting him torture you. And like you said; he hasn’t marked you, so there’s really nothing binding you to him.”

“I can’t just let him go, Jen. He’s my mate; and I’m going to stick around; whether he wants me to or not; at least for a while.” I said; crossing my arms.

“He’s just lucky you’re patient. If I had a crappy mate, I’d just drop him.” She said; flashing me a devilish grin; probably trying to get me to cheer up. I grabbed a cushion and flung it at her. That was becoming a hobby of mine; throwing things at people.

“Yeah, right. When you find your mate; and I’m sure you will, you won’t leave his side. I’m sure of it. Just look at how devoted you are to your bother!” I said; before I began to giggle as she fake gagged.

“My brother needs my help; he’s a dummy. My mate will be way more competent.” She said confidently.

“Think of it this way, at least if he isn’t, you’ll have experience.” I said; my tone, taunting.

The next thing I know, a whole army of cushions are flying at me. “You are officially not invited to my wedding.” She muttered as she crossed her arms; pouting. I feigned surprise as I held a hand to my chest.