14: The Sun Also Rises

It had been a stressful night with everyone worrying about Elena and Klaus. I had stayed over at the Salvatore Boarding House, mostly staring at a fire in the large library of the house. There were so many thoughts running through everyone's minds that it seemed no one got a good nights' rest. Well, except Stefan and Elena. They slept in each other's arms, happy, for a while. 

   Elijah arrived in the morning and began to tell us what would happen and how he planned on killing Klaus. His plan involved an elixir—which he had acquired 500 years ago—that would feign Elena's death. In a way, she'll say, but she would come back. Damon was the one that spoke up about it, preferring to us the famous Gilbert ring instead. The problem was that the ring wouldn't work on Elena since she was part of the supernatural world.

   Alaric was back in his body, which meant that Klaus had returned to his body. He remembered nothing of what Klaus did in his. Jenna knew about vampires, thanks to Klaus, and she was scared and wary around us. Damon was, well, angry. He forced Elena to drink his blood, which meant that she would come back as a vampire instead of a human like she would have had with the elixir.

   "The problem, Damon, you talk a good game but you don't actually know anything," Elijah told him. "She'll never forgive you. And for a vampire, it's a very long time." He left, and that was when I walked to him. 

   "Damon," I softly said, laying a hand on his arm. "Let's get out of here. You need some fresh air. How about we go to The Grill and get a drink?" He had blood under his nose and his chin. I wiped the blood under his nose with my thumb, keeping my hand on his cheek for a few seconds.

   "You're getting me drunk on this day?" he asked, a small playful tone in his voice. It was forced. He was both in pain and horribly sad. 

   "Yeah, well, we all need to get drunk today," I breathed, forcing a small smile. "Come on. I'll buy."

   Damon stared at me for a couple of seconds and nodded, following me out the door. I inhaled the fresh air, looking up at the blue sky as we walked to the car. It felt like an ordinary day, with the sun out and nothing to worry us. But, no, it was the day where the famous Elena Gilbert would turn into a vampire, where the infamous Klaus Mikaelson would turn into a vampire-werewolf hybrid. It was a horrible day.

   I pulled Damon inside The Grill, keeping a tight hold on his hand. The only time I let go was when we arrived at the bar. I ordered two drinks, strong. Alaric arrived and ordered the same. I lifted my glass in his direction before swallowing the burning liquid, immediately ordering another one.

   "I screwed up," Damon acknowledged, looking at nothing.

   "Yeah," Alaric and I said in unison.

   "Yeah, you did," Alaric finished. 

   "Gentleman?" a voice with a British accent stopped out conversation. "Miss? Why so glum?"

   I looked at Alaric first, who had a surprised look on his face, and then I looked at Damon. He was both surprised and angry. Slowly, I averted my eyes to the owner of the voice. There was an attractive man standing before us; tall, dirty blonde curly hair, and light blue eyes that contrast against his pearly-white skin. He was well built, and I shouldn't have been looking at him in such a way because he was the bad guy. But, weren't the bad guys attractive?

   "Ugh," Damon groaned. "Klaus, I presume."

   "In the flesh," Klaus smiled. It was one of those smiles where he looked proud of the reputation he upheld. He looked at Alaric. "Thanks for the loaner, mate."

   Damon stood up. I grabbed his arm to stop him from doing anything rash. He glanced at me, and then he looked back at Klaus. "Any reason you stopped by to say hi?"