Chapter 20

Marc hated the fact that he had to interrupt the conversation between Emily and Kyle. God knew how much those two needed this moment alone, to put all their issues behind and join as a couple. This pack needed a Luna and his friend was in absolutely need of his mate, even if he couldn't see it for himself. 

Both werewolves in that study were stubborn to no end, both hot headed too. It was a surprise that they weren't already together. Speaking of which... why wasn't the link working between them? Why were they fighting it? Resisting the pull as if it was a bad and dangerous thing?

He waited, after knocking on the door, for Kyle to open it. It took him less than one minute to do it and when he did, the guy seemed perturbed, as if something or someone had break his thick walls that he kept around himself for protection. That wasn't the only thing that Marc noticed. He could sense Emily on the other side of the door and he could also smell her scent, aroused and ready for some naughty activity. He detected this from the few seconds that Kyle took to shut the door closed behind him. Obviously, he didn't want for Marc to know what he already did, so he pushed those thoughts to the back of his mind, concentrating instead on the problem at hands.

"We were attacked on the north part of our territory." He was surprised that his voice was neutral, despite the rage that was boiling his insides. 

Who had dare to attack them? Who was crazy enough to do such a thing? Or stupid enough? This was their second attack in less than six months and they always came in group. It seemed something calculated and not just some lost wolves that happen to want to cross their land. They had come with one propose, one goal and they had fail, fortunately.

Kyle was all business when he got out of his office. Of course he was still hard between his legs, but he was worried about the events and the warriors that had to protect his pack. Thinking about this, the attacks from rouges had began since Emily joined his pack and intensified in the last years. That thought made his body run cold. He wouldn't let anything to happen to his mate. It was a good thing that she was completely oblivious about the danger that surrounded her, if any of his suspicious were true.

Focusing on the matter at hand, he turned to his Beta, his expression serious.

"Who was patrolling that part? How are they? He asked, worry lacing hi voice. He knew his warriors were good fighters but even the best man could die or be seriously injured.

"It was Karl's group. He told me little, just that a group of five rouges appeared out of nowhere and they stopped them from entering the line of houses." There was a pause, one that Kyle didn't like, before Marc could continue.

"Jeffrey was there. He is badly hurt." The words cut the air like a knife. Kyle knew that Marc was not so close to his brother but the guy shared his blood. He glanced in the direction of his friend and saw that his body was slightly trembling. It was obvious that he cared for the male that was currently being led to the clinic.

He opened his mouth to speak but closed it quickly. He couldn't make assurances about things that only the Moon-Goddess knew. 

"I'm here for you." The words were simple, but they seemed to make Marc relax a tiny bit. They both entered the clinic, almost bringing the door down, looking everywhere for their companions. Karl was in the waiting room, with his face between his hands. He looked exhausted, defeated and that brought a cold premonition to both of them. Almost at the same time, Karl lifted his head and turned to them.

"I'm sorry. I tried my best to protect the group..." He said, almost in a whisper. Marc turned to the door separating the waiting room from the emergency room and ran in that direction. He pushed the doors open, before Kyle could prevent him and what he saw, made his chest constrict, his legs weak and his eyes water. He rarely cried.

Someone was shouting so loud that his ears were hurting. When all the looks turned to him, he realized that the sound had come from him. His legs gave up and Kyle was there to grab him, to give him support. He couldn't turn to face his friend. His bloodied younger brother was the center of his attention. His lifeless body was the reason for him to feel so empty. He couldn't turn away and when the slender figure of a woman appeared in the doorway, he could just let his tears fall down his cheeks. She had the same reaction he had. Her eyes turned wide and watery, her body limp, and her hand went to her mouth, to muffle the hysteric sounds that came from there. He knew her. She was the mate of the man lying on that bed and from the way she was shaking and crying, she knew he was already dead.

Marc could imagine the pain she was suffering. He had lost his mate too, but no one in the pack knew that, except Kyle and Luke. He had met her in Brasil, the same year he had decide to go explore the world by himself. She was the Alpha's daughter of one of the biggest packs there, one near the Amazon rain-forest. She had been beautiful, with dark skin, big black eyes and hair so long, that cover her whole back to her waist.

They had began a romance, oblivious of her father's plan to get her mated with another Alpha of a neighboring pack. The good days last some weeks, till they were discovered. It was then that his parents had come to bring him home. A terrible mistake, a fatal one. Amália's father had threatened them all to leave his land. When Marc had refuse, he had killed the only people that he loved, Amalia included. He was barely nineteen, a innocent pup. He remembered being held by two brutes and the words that her father had say before killing his mate.

You will never have my daughter. I prefer seeing her dead instead of being with a Beta like you. You are pathetic, pup. You will live knowing that they died because of you.

That were his words, before the world went black. He remembered waking up hours later, with a pain in his chest so strong that he thought it would kill him. Unfortunately it didn't. He had returned to his old pack. He didn't mean to, but Kyle had called him for help. His father too had died, leaving him a great responsibility on his shoulders. 

Seeing his brother now, laying immobile on the cold table, he regretted telling him the truth or partially the truth. He had told him that their parents were dead and Jeffrey assumed it had been all Marc's fault. He didn't tell about Amália. He didn't blame his brother for having hated him. He hated himself too. Mustering some strength, he turned to Kyle.

"We need to bury him." Kyle only nodded, not letting go of his shoulder. A gesture that made Marc more emotional. He had a family, Kyle and Luke were his family. But what about his brother's widow? He didn't know her too well to see that she was completely lost. He would make sure she would be well, she would be take care of. It was the only thing that he could do to repay his brother everything that he had done.

Marc didn't notice his feet move, till he had the crying female in his arms. He felt her body stiffen, then her eyes locked with his. Rage replaced shock and she pushed him away.

"How dare you?? Get out!! You are not part of his family!!" She yelled at him.

He just stayed there, looking dumbfounded to her. She hated him? She barely knew him. He didn't even knew her name, just that she was his dead brother's mate. Kyle called him from behind, snapping his mind into focus. He turned around, but not before saying some words to the furious woman.

"Despite your feelings toward me, I am still part of your son's family, even if you don't like it. You can count on me, when you need." He turned his back to her and followed Kyle outside. He had to prepare the funeral of a dear one, even when their path had long been apart from each other.