Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Jamie Vandeviere

Being back at school on Monday felt... strange. Luke was right about the effects of the party; it led people into believing that I was officially a part of the "In-Crowd". Everywhere I went- hallway, cafeteria, classrooms- people stared and smiled at me, and when I waved them hello they acted like the fact that I was acknowledging them was astounding.

I have to admit... The fact that I had this kind of effect on people was kind of cool.

I was never alone, not even for a second. Bryce, Roger, and Seth, saved me a spot in all of the classes that we shared so I ended up moving from the unobtrusive side seats to the center of the room. Sitting with the jocks did have its advantages; they made the boring courses entertaining with their silly jests.

"So... you sitting at the Doom Table again?" asked Lucy as we walked over to the cafeteria together.

"I have to," I sighed. "Wanna join me?"

She snorted. "Please. If I sat at that table, it wouldn't be steak attached to my fork but Summer's head."

I giggled and sauntered to Luke and the guys, who were all laughing over something Roger had said. Summer was the first person to see me approaching; she gave me her infamous mean-girl glare the moment I set my tray down and I tried my best to ignore her. She couldn't have made it more obvious that I wasn't welcomed at "her table". As if I wanted to be around her while I ate. Candace, much to my surprise, cracked a smile at me. Yep, she smiled. Not the condescending one that mimicked Summer's but an actual smile. It made me hopeful that maybe she didn't dislike me as much as Summer did.

Across from me, Adam smiled. As my eyes met his crystalline blue ones, I blushed as memories from last night raced through my mind. Strolling around the lake with him alone seemed more like a dream than reality. Even though it doesn't sound like a big deal- I mean, we were just two friends talking a walk. Nothing romantic about that- my heart had been hammering the entire time.

"Jamie, what do you call really scared pasta?" asked Bryce, pulling me from my train of thoughts.

"Not again!" I groaned. Bryce had been forcing me to sit through his stupid jokes since first period; his jokes got lamer by the hour. Honestly, where did he get them from?

Luke sighed. "Ignore him. We always do."

"No! You have to answer!" Bryce insisted, looking so excited that his entire face lit up like a kid on Christmas. "Come on!"

"I don't know. I'm not good at riddles!"

"Bryce, leave her alone!" Roger guffawed. "It's bad enough that she has you in what, five of her classes? Give the girl a break."

Bryce gave Roger the finger and turned to me expectantly. When I shrugged at him, he sighed and said, "Chicken noodles. Really funny, huh? Gosh, you narrow-minded people have no imagination."

The guys groaned and smacked his arm for telling a joke this corny. I remember hearing a similar joke in second grade but I didn't want to ruin it for Bryce. This boy seriously needed a new hobby.

"Have you guys been to Rona's Cafe downtown?"

I tensed up when Summer's sugary sweet voice rang from down the table. Struggling to maintain a poker face, I peeked at her from the corner of my eyes and laced my fidgety fingers together under the table. Maybe it was just a coincidence. I mean, she wouldn't...

"I went there with my mom when I was a child," answered Roger, scratching the back of his head. "The food was pretty good."

"When you were a child?" Seth chuckled. "And when would that be, Rog? Twenty years ago?"