The Legacy - Part 2

Eight

Jessica is about to leave for work when the phone rings.

"Hello, I'm sorry to bother you, but I am trying to get in touch with Cisely Matthews."

"Yes. Hold on just a minute and I'll get her."

Jessica appears in Cisely's bedroom doorway and points to the phone. "It's for you, dear." Noticing wariness in Cisely's eyes as she turns to get the phone, Jessica leaves to give her some privacy, though she can't help being curious. The female caller has a prominent southern accent. Jessica can't recall Cisely ever receiving a phone call from home. She silently prays everything is okay with her family.

 * * * 

"Cis, girl, this is your cousin, Velma."

At the sound of my cousin's voice, I sit down on the edge of the bed. In all the time I have been in Utah, no one in the family has ever called me, nor have I expected them to. Even when I was in Asheville I received no contact from relatives unless I initiated it, which leads me to believe something is definitely wrong.

"How are you, Velma?" My cordial tone is forced.

"I'm doing okay, girl, but I have some bad news. Your mama died last night."

It takes a moment before the statement registers in my head. In stunned silence, I press a hand to my mouth as my cousin's words take hold in my mind.

Mama is gone! I can't believe it!

"Cisely, are you all right?"

"I'm fine," I finally answer. "How did it happen?"

"The paramedics said she had a heart attack. Kenneth, a guy she started hanging out with last week, called them. By the time they got there it was too late. She was already gone. I found your number in her purse."

Heaving a weary sigh, my gaze fixes on a hummingbird hovering just outside the window. So many thoughts drift through my mind concerning my mother's life and what she went through, but none of them produce the tears I would expect to come. I briefly wonder if something is wrong with me. This was my mother, the woman I spent over half my life with, and right now I can't even cry for her. We have never been close, but I should feel a little more grief. Surprisingly, there isn't even a desire to cry.

Maybe I'm in shock.

Velma's voice breaks through my thoughts. "Well, Mama told me to call you so you could take care of the funeral arrangements. You're the only one who can since you are named the beneficiary on her life insurance policy."

I realize it is my responsibility to take care of the arrangements, regardless of whether there is insurance or not, because I am Geneva's only child, and I know from experience I can't count on my mother's family for anything.

"I'll be there by tomorrow evening."

"Okay, girl, I'll tell Mama you're coming."

Hanging up, I numbly return my gaze to the window, staring at nothing in particular.

I can'tbelieve Mama is gone.

We haven't really been a part of each other's lives for years, but it is still hard to imagine her not being in the world.

I guess all those years of drinking finally caught up with her. But she's better off now. A soft knock draws my gaze to the door.

Ingo and Jessica enter. He sits down next to me and takes my hand. "What is it, love?"