0.4

4. School is important, but there are many things you can't learn in a classroom. Pursue them.

.

January 25, 2014. Age : 15

Today was your average Monday morning in the Mendes household. Aaliyah and I were finishing up the last of our assignments at the breakfast table, occasionally taking a sip of orange juice.

"I can't believe you two waited until the last minute -- again!" mum said, refilling our glasses of orange juice. "When will you ever learn time management?"

I looked up at my mother and then over to my sister, who shrugged her shoulders. It's not that we didn't know this was due, we just didn't have that type of motivation.

"Especially you, Shawn." She began, "You only have a few years left in high school. What's going to happen when you go out to the real world. I doubt you'll ever make a living if you keep up your bad habit of procrastination."

I shrugged. She was right, I wouldn't. But was my dream really what my mum had envisioned for me? Do I really want to become a doctor?

"You two should probably get a move on. The bus will be here shortly." She said, grabbing our plates from in front of us to wash. Aaliyah and I stood up and grabbed our bags, and then made our way to the front door.

On my way there, I heard my father come out of the office and speak to mum. "Go easy on him, Karen. I know you want the best for him, but he's still a teenager. He needs to learn and experience these things for himself."

The remaining part of their conversation I blocked out. We walked out the door, meeting Audrey at the corner of our neighborhood.

"You look sad, what's wrong?" She asked, looking up from her phone.

"Nothing, just thinking about the future I guess." I replied, "Have you ever thought about what would happen if you ever dropped out of school?"

She looked taken back, but then answered. "Yeah, I mean Mr. Holmes gives a lot of work and it stresses-"

"Not like that." I said quickly, "Like actually dropping out. Pursuing the dream you have instead of going to some fancy, expensive Med school."

She thought about it for a bit, almost looking confused, but then answered calmly. "No, I guess I haven't. But now that I think about it, I wish I had before."

The rest of the day up until last period was a blur. The same old waving to Audrey in the halls, stumbling over the (oddly small) freshmen, and walking with friends. My last class was one of my favorites, history.

I feel like you can learn a lot from the past, there are so many good things you can learn from historical events. A paper being set on my desk interrupted those thoughts, though.

"Not your best work." My teacher said, swiftly passing my desk.

I sighed. Of course this would happen today.

Once I got home, I was greeted by my father in his work-at-home attire. "Let's talk."

I nodded and followed him back into his office. Correction, his and mum's office.

He sat down in his office chair and I took a seat in mum's.

"I checked your grades today."

"I wish you hadn't." I replied, playing with the bottom of my shirt's sleeve. "I got a few bad grades."

"I know you have." He said, turning towards his computer. I leaned out of my chair a bit, and realized my grades were pulled up in a tab as well as Aaliyah's.

"But- oh come here, I know you saw." He laughed, motioning me over to stand behind him. "Look at your grades in history, math, and english."

I stared at the numbers on the screen in front of me. "A C in math, a D in english, and a B in history."

"Exactly. Now look at your chorus class grade."

An A, I thought to myself. And not only an A, but an A plus.

"Feeling good now?" my dad asked. "Because I am."

"What why?" I asked, clearly puzzled by his response. "Why do you feel good? The only non-elective class I don't have an A in is the sciences!"

"Not important to me right now. I see the big picture." He said. "You have a passion for music?"

I nodded. "I love singing, I love it so much. And I want to learn how to play the guitar too, that's why I'm saving up."

He smiled. "Well I'm glad, Shawn. Just please try to raise your grades, if you can, I know your mum would be happy then too."

"But always know that she'll be happy with whatever you choose to do in life, 'ya hear?"

I nodded. "Thanks dad."

Then, that weekend, my dad drove us to a music shop. He helped me purchase my first Taylor guitar, and I've never been happier.

"Take care of this." He said. "But always remember that school is important, but there are many things you can't learn in a classroom. Pursue them."

I smiled and couldn't resist giving my father a hug. "Thank you. Thank you so, so much."

.

SO SORRY FOR THE LONG WAIT!! I hOPE THERE ARE STILL PEOPLE ENJOYING THIS BOOK(:

I PROMISE THE NEXT FEW CHAPTERS WILL BE LONGER. IM GOING TO GET IN TOUCH TO SEE IF WE CAN GET THIS ACCOUNT BACK UP AND RUNNING, BUT SCHOOL HAS BEEN ESPECIALLY HARD FOR A LOT OF US.

(i have a mild concussion right now, so that's sorta why i'm slightly inactive.)

ANYWAYS I HOPE YOU ENJOYED(:

much love, abb