forty five

"Please?"

"Yeah, c'mon guys, please?"

"It's just one day. You won't even know she's gone."

Camila and Lauren exchanged glances, surrounded by their friends' pleas. Camila raised a questioning eyebrow to her wife, and was met with a shrug from the dark haired girl.

"We can handle a child for 24 hours," Dinah scoffed, shaking her head at her friends' hesitancy. "You just feed it, water it, and take it on a walk twice a day. It's not that hard."

It'd been a little over a week since Thanksgiving, and the couple had earned two extra visitors for the time being. Due to a plumbing issue at their apartment, Normani and Dinah had jumped at the opportunity to spend a few days with the tiny family.

Presley adored the two girls. It was obvious. They brought out her outgoing side. Just the night before, they'd conducted an impromptu karaoke session in the living room, which ended in a broken lamp and a million apologies from a guilty Dinah.

And now, Normani and Dinah had conducted a master plan. They wanted to take Presley to the city to see a ballet. Which meant they'd spend the night at a hotel to avoid traffic on the way home.

However, this resulted in a wary Camila and a hesitant Lauren. They'd yet to let Presley out of their sight since she'd come to live with them, and they were both nervous to do so.

"What's the worst that could happen?" Normani looked at the girls, raising an eyebrow. "It's a ballet. Not a heavy metal mosh pit."

"Someone's ballet shoe could fly off and hit you in the face," Lauren nodded, convinced by her argument. "Or there could be an earthquake."

"There could just as easily be an earthquake here, smartass," Dinah quipped back half heartedly, giving her friend a knowing smirk. Camila and Lauren looked at one another once more.

"I don't know, Dinah," Lauren sighed and shook her head. "Can't you guys find something else to do?"

"Come on, Lauren," Normani laughed. "You get her every day. We're just asking for one night of auntie time. Besides, you two should jump at the chance to have the house all to yourse-,"

"I'm ready!"

Presley's voice rang out from her bedroom, interrupting the girls. The small girl bounded into the living room, donning a pink leotard and tutu, along with small pink ballet flats (on the wrong feet). Lauren had to scramble to catch the little girl, who practically leapt into her arms.

"Woah there, lovebug," Lauren laughed, moving to sit Presley on her hip. "Where'd you get that?"

"China gave it to me," Presley nodded, pointing the girl that stood a few feet away from them. "She said we're going to see the ballerinas."

Lauren and Camila's eyes both landed on a guilty looking Dinah, whose eyes had widened slightly.

"You told her already?" Lauren asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I couldn't resist!" Dinah held up her hands as if she were surrendering, making Camila laugh. "Plus I didn't know you'd be so uptight."

"I am not uptight," Lauren argued, shaking her head. When the other girls struggled to stifle their laughter, the dark haired girl looked at her wife in confusion.

"You kinda are, Lo," Camila said softly, placing a hand on Lauren's shoulder. "But only sometimes," she added with a nervous smile.

"I am not uptight," Lauren mumbled under her breath, shaking her head. Camila giggled, looking down at her feet shyly.