Chapter 13

Clary POV

"Can you tell us what happened, Miss Morgenstern?" the police officer asks as she pulls out a notepad to get a statement. I'm gonna have to lie. I can't say how that guy was a client of my father's. They'll arrest him for dealing or worse.

"I don't understand. Can't you just ask my dad?" I ask still a tad bit groggy from my mini coma. I haven't even found out what exactly happened to me yet. Jace, who sits beside me, holds my hand a little tighter.

"We already have. We just need to verify his story with yours," she explains.

I nod slightly. "I woke up and heard someone walking around downstairs. I got out of bed thinking it was my dad getting home late from work or my friend Aline getting back from a date and went downstairs to say hey. I was halfway down the stairs when I heard my dad yell something and something break. I panicked and crept the rest of the way down the stairs until I could look into the living room.

"I saw my dad yelling at some guy. I noticed the gun right away and panicked again. I ran towards the door thinking I'd get help when the shot went off. After that I blacked out," I explain tearing up slightly. Jace gently wipes the tears away and kisses my cheek and I smile weakly at him.

She finishes writing my statement and smiles at me. "Thank you Miss Morgenstern. I hope you get better soon." She nods slightly before leaving the room.

"It would help if I knew exactly what happened," I mumble causing Jace to laugh slightly.

He opens his mouth to say something when a group of doctors walk in. (Don't judge me for this next part. I've been watching Grey's Anatomy for the past six hours XD) One of the doctors turns to the others and asks, "Who would like to present?"

"Clarissa Morgenstern, sixteen years old. She was shot just left of her heart and we had to leave the bullet in or two major arteries would have bled out. We're keeping her for observation because of a minor concussion and plan to let her leave in a work," a short brunette girl states.

"Yeah, um, so what you're saying is there is that I'm going to have a bullet in my chest for the rest of my life," I say with my eyebrows raised.

"You'll be fun to go through airport security with," Jace says causing me to laugh slightly.

"That is the case, but you'll be surprised how many cases we have to leave the bullets in for," the first doctor says. (Before anyone says something about how this is rubbish, it's an actual thing. I got called a 'Fucking dumbass' by someone when I brought up before so I wanted to make sure you all know that my mom is a surgeon and I've seen this done dozens of times. Keep reading for upcoming heartbreak. (That's your warning) >:))

I nod slightly. "Where's my dad?"

"He's still in surgery. After you were shot he was shot twice. The last time I checked they were working on stopping his bleeding," Mr. Doctor Man says. I nod slightly as I yawn. "We'll let you sleep and check in in an hour or two."

As they leave I close my eyes and feel Jace kiss my forehead. "I love you Jace," I whisper before slipping into sleep.

___/\_____/\_____/\_____/\_____/\_____/\___

When I wake up some blonde boy and black haired boy and girl stand in my room. "Clary!" the girl says as she rushes towards me.

I back away slightly. "Who are you? Who are you all!?" I yell.

A look of shock spreads across her face. "W-what? Clary it's me. It's Isabelle!" The poor girl looks like she's close to tears.

"I-I don't know any Isabelles. Where am I? Where's my dad? Where's Mark?" I ask as I look around frantically. I freeze when I look out the window. It's not the Chicago skyline I see, it's New York. "Why am I in New York? I'm supposed to be in Chicago! Mark!"

"Clary, calm down," the blonde says coming closer and grabs my hand. His touch oddly calms me down. He turns his head to face the other boy. "Alec, get the doctor." 'Alec' nods and runs off. "It's gonna be okay Clary." There's pain in his eyes. Pain I can't describe.

"I just want Mark," I whisper as my eyes fill with tears. Hurt flashes through his eyes.

A few doctors rush in and start wheeling my bed away. "Where are you taking her!?" the girl calls.

"Emergency MRI," I hear one of the nurses say before I'm out of hearing range.

___/\_____/\_____/\_____/\_____/\_____/\___

"How could I forget you all like that?" I ask as Jace wipes away my tears. "It was like the last seven months of my life never even happened."

"There's a bleed in your pre frontal cortex, where your memory is stored. We believe it happened when you fell after you were shot. The swelling from the bleed is straining it and causing pieces from your memory to disappear. Unless we can stop the bleed you will continue to have episodes until the memory fades completely," the doctor states.

"C-Can you fix it?" I ask as I grip Jace's hand tighter.

"We'll prep you for surgery once an OR has opened up. It's a risky surgery, but we caught it soon enough where I'm fairly confident."

"Thank you," I say before looking towards Jace and leaning my head on his. "I don't want to forget you again," I whisper closing my eyes. "If the surgery doesn't work then I want you to know that I love you and that I'm sorry for his I've treated you. If I wake up after this surgery and I have no idea who you are, you need to know that I didn't leave you by choice. And I promise you that when I come out remembering your, we're starting over. I'm going to be more truthful about my past. I'm going to be honest and I'll treat you the way you deserve to be treated Jace Herondale. I love you so much," I whisper as tears flow softly down my cheeks.

"I love you too Clary. You're going to come out of this okay. I believe in you. I love you," Jace whispers and I can tell he's crying softly.

I lean forward and press my lips to his. The kiss is simple but it says so much. It says all the unsaid 'I love you's, makes up for every mistake, wipes away all the nights I woke up from a nightmare and Jace wasn't there to comfort me or hold me. This simple kiss wipes our slate clean. When we pull away after what feels like forever, Jace wipes away my tears. "Go. Go rock that surgery and come back to me," he whispers.

After they wheel me away to the OR and put me under I don't know what's happening or how long this is going on for. It feels like no time at all even though the surgeon told me the surgery would take almost five hours not counting any complications. Before I realize it I'm waking up in my hospital room.

I smile at the group of people in front if me. I decide to give them one sentence to explain my condition.

"The bitch is back kiddos."

They all smile brightly as I'm engulfed in a huge hug.

AN

Woah! Two updates in like eight hours! Did I scare you guys with the pre frontal cortex thing? I know that about one of you! Looking at you @AmeliaMercedes1!

I'm gonna update my other stories soon, I just wanted to get this one done before the ideas for this chapter and the last one before they left my brainious maximus. And since my Jem of a brother backed out of going to Ren Faire tomorrow I have plenty of time to do it :/. I'm not upset about updating! I'm upset about how I haven't gone to Ren Faire all summer and it ends on Monday. So it's one in the morning here in Milwaukee so I'm gonna go to bed. Night people's of the world!~Bella