Chapter 11 - The D Day

The next few days were very tasking; the whole presentation thing and also the punishment part both were driving me crazy. Manik was more or less well behaved but he somehow managed to have it his way whenever he wanted. One day in the week when we had turned up for a staff meeting in the conference room. I was sitting with Navya by my side and Cabir, Mukti and few other associates were surrounding us across the table. Manik came in last and wished everyone and didn't bother to acknowledge my presence. I felt a little bad though but as he walked past me to his seat, I felt a slight thump on my head. Everybody had a shocking expression on their faces but no one dared to react with Manik in front of them except Cabir who burst out laughing. I couldn't understand first but then turned tomato red in embarrassment when Navya whispered into my ears that Manik kissed me on the head while he walked past me. I couldn't meet anyone's eye through out the meeting let alone contributing anything. When I happened to glance at Manik once and our eyes met he gave an evil smirk making me feel more awkward. I wanted to kill Manik for being so shameless.

"Why did you do that??", I asked him the very moment the meeting got over and we got some alone time.

"What??? Oh that.. you looked sad that I didn't wish you, so just thought of making it up to you", he always had his suave answers ready.

"You broke your promise that too in front of everyone that was sooo embarrassing", I complained in a nagging manner.

"Really!!! I do it openly that's wrong and when you do it in private that's okay..what do you think I don't know that you kiss me every morning when I am asleep. That's different that I enjoy it but you cheat also", he exaggerated in an over dramatic tone that was enough to make me blush hard.

I think I couldn't turn redder. I looked away. I could not handle getting more embarrassed when he pulled me closer.

"Listen you know you can't stay away from me then why pretend", he was about to attack my lips when I put my hand on his mouth. I knew if we started there god knows how long would we be stuck. Thankfully his phone buzzed and I was rescued.

***

Apart from Manik there was something more important to deal with, THE PRESENTATION. I was literally having nightmares of me ruining it. The more Manik would try to calm me the more I would panic.

"Relax Nandini you are studying as if you have your board exams." he said one night when he saw me immersed in a pile of books and sketches.

"No Manik please let me I have to get the fundamentals of designing right. What if they ask me about the basics of traditional designing?"

Manik laughed like I had cracked the millennium joke, "Nandini that poor girl is getting married the only thing that she will be concerned about is the outfit that she would look best in. You just have to convince her regarding the designs.. like make her feel good and all... that's it".

I looked at him pensively. He was right. I had to be sure about the designs myself only then would I manage to persuade her.

We had geared up completely. This time there could be no space for any loopholes. More than anything else it was important because of the faith and confidence that Manik had shown in me. I knew somewhere both Cabir and Mukti were a little skeptical about Manik's decision. In fact they had every reason to worry, I would fumble every now and then during the mock presentation as well but still they encouraged me.

***

Finally the D day came. I agree I was nervous but more than that I was excited. I reached early that day. But even by that time everyone was bustling around. We all knew it was important and wanted to do our bits perfectly. I checked the presentation twice to avoid any glitch when Natasha informed me that this time Soha Dhanrajgir herself will be present at the meeting along with her older brother Harshad. Manik and Cabir were discussing other important details and Mukti went to receive them. Manik winked at me to wish me luck. Mukti escorted Soha, Harshad and their manager to the conference room. Soha was a trim, toned and an attractive girl. She wore a blue knee length skin fit dress and carried herself elegantly. Harshad on the other hand was a well built tall handsome looking guy. He was dressed in blazer and denims.