Twenty Two. A Fatal Secret Sealed with a Kiss

"Who just came in?" I asked nervously, glancing at the door.

"My dad," Aidan said grimly.

"Your dad," I repeated. "Oh, okay...is that a bad thing?" I asked, measuring the tense look on his face.

"Just stay here," He commanded, completely ignoring my question. "I'm serious. Don't leave the room until I come back in to get you, okay?"

"Okay," I nodded.

He gave me a look. "Demi."

"I said okay!"

What exactly did he want? A blood oath?

I was pretty annoyed at the fact that he obviously didn't seem to trust my word. Although, I suppose I couldn't really blame him. I had broken the first rule he gave me when we walked into the house.

"Do want me to pinkie swear?" I asked sarcastically in response to his wary look.

Aidan held out his pinkie expectantly.

"I was kidding."

"Come on," he said, waving his hand around. "I don't have all day."

I rolled my eyes and wrapped my pinkie around his own. "I promise not to leave this room until you come and get me."

"Thank you," he flashed me a smile and dropped his hand. "You know, I usually handle my deals with spit shakes."

I wrinkled my nose in disgust and leaned away. "Ew," I blanched. "That is disgusting."

"I'll be right back."

Before I could respond he was out the door, closing it shut behind him.

I stood up and draped my bag over my shoulder. I walked up to the door and opened it quietly. Carefully, I poked my head out so I was able to hear the voices from downstairs clearly.

Technically, I wasn't breaking my pinkie swear. Aidan told me not to leave the room. He never said anything about eavesdropping.

"....the hell are you doing here?" The man's voice from earlier boomed. "Shouldn't you be in school? Are you ditching? You know I don't like those damn phone calls from your school."

"We had a half day today," Aidan's quieter voice lied.

Silence settled around the house. A silence that stretched on for so long I had begun to wonder if they had moved to a different room that wasn't in my hearing range. Then, Aidan's dad spoke again.

"Alright," he said. "You better not be lying though, boy. You know what happens to liars in this house."

I assumed Aidan mumbled something inaudible under his breath because his dad's voice grew sharp.

"What was that?"

"Nothing," Aidan said.

"Nothing....?"

"Nothing, sir," Aidan corrected himself putting as much venom as he possibly could in that one word.

Silence fell again, and all I heard was faint shuffling coming from the first floor.

"You better tell that kid to clean all her shit up when she comes home," Aidan's dad warned. "I'm not responsible for what happens to her if she doesn't."

"That kid. You mean your kid?" Aidan snapped angrily. "Although, I suppose it's not surprising you don't want to be responsible for her. When do you take responsibility for anything, let alone your kids? All you are is a pathetic alcoholic who can't even-"