The Raven Girl - chapter 31

I knew Dante was an asshole but god could he kiss. Every nerve receptor on my skin was going berserk at his touch. I literally wanted to melt into him and if it wasn’t for that voice nagging me to stop I would have given into Dante completely.

‘Stop!’ The voice commanded.

Go away, I thought.

‘Ebony everything will be lost if you do not retrieve that item.’ The voice belonged to the dragon that was sending me on this mad quest.

I know, but when he kisses me like this it makes me wonder why I left him in the first place, I thought.

There was a pause and dragon said, ‘I will show you.’

Mental pain exploded through my head and pulled sharply away from Dante. I felt dizzy and ill, looking at Dante the world suddenly seem to disappear into the shadows. There was blackness for a time then there was a thought…Why did Dante always seem so disappointed every time I saw him?

 Dante and all the other Lords that made up his council stared disapprovingly at me as a servant explained she had found me in the gardens walking barefoot through the snow. The vampires liked to wear shoes and Dante had brought me several pairs. I never had shoes in the forest and when I tried to explain this to him, Dante, got mad and started yelling. He called me uncilivilised and barbaric and threatened to throw me out into the kennels with the dogs for behaving like one. Slowly I was finding the etiquette of civilisation was a giant millstone around my neck. So many inane rules fluttered around my head and accidentally I had forgotten one. The servant hated me like every other vampire in this place. When she had seen my naked feet she had dragged me into the castle and begged for an audience with the Prince. I stared at the ground as she regaled the story of how she had found me wandering the garden without any shoes. The Prince thanked her for her viligilence and said he would see to me. Dante adjourned the meeting with his Lords and dismissed everyone from the room abruptly.

“If you insist behaving like a wild animal then I will have to break you like a wild animal.” Dante said starkly.

“I’m sorry, I forgot.” I replied drily.

“Sometimes I wonder if you enjoy doing this on purpose.”

“Dante-”

“Do not address me so informally.”

I opened my mouth to apologize again but hesitated, I had forgotten how to address him. Which title did I use? The longer I thought the blacker Dante’s eyes turned. Fear began simmer deep inside me, I knew that look, my brother used to give me that same look before he tried to beat me. Dante took a step towards me and I took a step back. Dante immediately interpreted as an act of defiance. Angrily he reached to grab me and flung myself backward throwing my arms up in front of me to shield myself from the blows. Tears ran down my face. I had escaped one abusive relationship only to be ensnared by another. Closing my eyes in anticipation I waited for the first strike…. And waited.

When the blows did not come I opened my eyes and stared at Dante in some what surprise. His eyes had lost their hardness and intensity and his body posture was open and non-threating. He had an expression of pain and sadness etched across his face. He looked down at me and asked,

“Did you really think I was going to lay my hands on you?”

I nodded.

Anger and annoyance flashed through his eyes and he snapped, “I have never laid hands on a woman! I can’t believe you would think so low and common of me.”

Dante smiled bitterly and threw his arms in the air, “I’m sick of the sight of you. Get out.” He ordered.

I ran out the room in floods of tears back to my room and flung myself on the bed. A gentle hand rested upon my head.

“Shhh…Don’t cry.” Morgan spoke softly.

“I hate him. I hate men. I want to get out of here!” I sobbed throwing my arms around Morgan.

“We can leave if you want to.” Morgan replied.

“How can we? If I leave then Edvard will get me!”

“And if you stay?”

“I’ll be with that cursed vampire!”

“I have an idea,” Morgan said. “I spoke to friend and she says that there is a place we can go where no one will find us.”

I dried my eyes and looked up at Morgan, “Where?”

“The mortal realm of course!” Morgan chirped.

“Are you serious?” I asked.

“Completely! Let’s runaway to the mortal realm.” Morgan replied.