Entry 6 - The Foreigner

At least once in a queen's lifetime, she'll be faced with the issue of dealing with trespassers. Trespassers are tricky. The problem with visitors is that you never know what they mean to you. It could mean another royal servant, or an attack from an unsuspected assassin. How you react when you hear about an intruder is a large reflection of the firmness of your kingdom.

On that early Friday morning, I was faced the most dangerous type of dilemma. One that was so rare, it was practicality unheard of. There was another queen in town.

I was in a pretty good mood that morning. I had on a cute cashmere sweater, designer scarf, and a new pair of heeled boots sent from my mom in Paris. I made my dramatic entrance as usual, and I found myself searching out for Andrew, as I'd been doing for the past week or so.

We'd turned it into a game. I called it, How Many Words Can I Say to Andrew Before Anyone Else Notices? He called it, How Long Can I Go Before I Get Terminated by A Horde of Evil, Prada-Wearing Minions? But for some reason, I couldn't find him like usual.

I became annoyed, and the girls became anxious looking. It was obvious they had something to tell me, but I wasn't in the mood for useless gossip at the moment.

I waited until I was at my locker. "What is it?" I snapped.

They all exploded into a stream of words that I couldn't understand. I caught the words new, gorgeous, and moved. My eyebrows furrowed. "Wait, girls, one at a time. What happened?"

They all took a deep breath. Adrienne opened her mouth to speak, but someone else took the spotlight.

Everyone's heads turned simultaneously, including mine, as both double doors opened and a tall, blonde girl walked in. The girls were right. She was gorgeous, and her looks demanded your attention as she took long strides down the hallway with her hair billowing back.

I regained my senses quickly and stepped into the middle of the hallway, blocking her path. She almost ran into me, but she caught herself and she laughed easily and apologetically. "Sorry about that, I should pay more attention."

I smiled with fake politeness. "It's alright. I should be more careful."

Her light blue eyes narrowed in on me and she straightened. My words were authoritative and my tone implied anything but. I watched her transform as she sensed a threat. My invisible crown probably gleamed on my head by now.

We stared each other down for a moment, and I wondered what this looked like from the outside.

The blonde girl was wearing frayed jean shorts, even in the 50 degree weather, accentuating her long, tanned legs, and her light eyes were framed with a nest of dark mascara. She looked every bit like a queen as I did, even though her features were completely different. I decided we looked like summer and winter, two different extremes that clashed against each other.

"What's your name?"

"Hayden," she replied. "I'm new here."

"I can tell." We both glared at each other again.

She cleared her throat and I side stepped politely. "So I guess I'll see you around, Hayden?"

She smiled smugly a little. "You definitely will, Claire."

I didn't ask how she knew my name, only watched as she flipped her long, highlighted hair and kept walking down the hallway, gaining curious and admiring looks in waves.

"Girls," I called. They nervously rushed to my sides. "I want every single piece of information that you have on the new girl. We have a total territory threat on our hands."