Chapter 23

[that gif *cries in 20 languages* ]

Luke glanced at Ashton, then Calum and then Ashton again. The blonde wiped a tear, staring at Michael's coffin and it was Jack all over again. As the speeches went on and on, he looked around and saw people he didn't even recognise. Just like Jack's funeral. These people probably didn't even know Michael, and they went on saying how great he was and how he'd be missed. Some of Michael's teachers and other students from school were there as well.

And so was Michael's mother.

She looked sad, but not as sad as Ashton, Calum or Luke. Maybe she was on the inside and just didn't want to show it, Luke didn't know. However, all's Luke felt was sadness. Nothing but sadness for the past week. Ashton and him hadn't spoken and it was killing him, as well as Michael's death. He went to his therapy session and opened up quite a lot. She wrote down things he said as well as how he was feeling and it helped him, talking about how he felt instead of keeping it bottled up inside how he used to.

He knew Ashton was mad at him, but he didn't think he wouldn't talk to him for a week. Luke guessed he was mad at Calum to, since they weren't sitting with each other. None of them were. Luke didn't think Ashton realised that the blonde was hurting too and it wasn't just him. Luke honestly felt like Ashton didn't even care about his feelings. Otherwise he wouldn't push him away like this.

Luke signed sadly, remembering how Luke pushed Ashton away when his brother past away. This was exactly like that. He remembered how all's he wanted was for people to leave him alone and that he wanted space to come to terms with things. Maybe that's what Ashton needed. Luke loved the curly-haired boy more than anything else in the world and he needed him to be happy.

And if that was giving Ashton space, he'd do it.

Since Michael's mother decided to have him cremated, the boys basically had to suffer with the thought that Michael was burning in his coffin. Luke hated the idea of Michael being cremated, he didn't understand why he couldn't be buried but then realised Michael's mother was a stupid bitch and that there was probably no way to change her mind. When the coffin rose into the ground, Luke burst into tears and so did the other boys.

Luke rested his head on his mothers shoulder, sobbing quietly while Save Me a Spark by Sleeping With Sirens was playing in the background. He guessed Ashton chose it and remembered when they played it live. Ashton knew every word and he looked like he had so much fun. However, Luke couldn't even smile at the memory. Michael was the one that made that night possible and Luke was grateful. It was just too soon.

When the funeral was finished, Luke stood up from his seat and quickly rushed out of the church in hopes that he can talk to Ashton. Spotting the brunette standing with his Mum, Luke hesitated but eventually grabbed Ashton's hand that was by his side, earning Ashton to shiver under the touch. Knowing that Luke wanted to talk to Ashton alone, Anne smiled timidly at Luke before walking away. Ashton huffed, watching his mother walk over to Liz and start chatting.

Ashton gazed at the ground, trying to avoid Luke's stare but eventually said quietly, "Um.. I think we should talk," Luke didn't like the sound of that but knew they really needed to.

Luke nodded slowly, saying, "Yeah, we do." There was silence for a bit, until Ashton said,

"I don't think I can do this anymore," at the same time Luke said, "I'll give you space if that's what you want." Both of the boys looked at each other, Luke's mouth dropping open and eyes filling with tears.

"What..?" Luke choked out, grabbing onto Ashton's hand and intertwining their fingers together. Tears fell down Ashton's face, him wiping them away with his sleeve and Luke pulled the boy closer by the hips. The blonde nuzzled his head in the crook of Ashton's neck, holding onto him so tightly that Ashton couldn't get out. And if he was being honest, he didn't want to.