Chapter 30

Sankatmochan gleefully loaded his plate with eatables, came out of the kitchen and through the open door saw Prithvi wiping down his bike, polishing every bit until the vehicle gleamed in the sunlight. He waddled outside and settled down on the topmost step with his plate.

“If only you would lavish a woman with that very same kind of affection, brother” Sankatmochan sighed. “Your bike, splendid as it is, will not keep you warm on cold and wintry -,”

“Have you ever tried talking about anything except this filth,” Prithvi asked irritably.

“But what else in this world is worth talking about,” the fat man enquired solemnly. “Though I know I am wasting my life discussing such delicious topics with you. You have never shown interest in developing enjoyable intimacies with God’s most attractive creation – women. And that fanatical guardian of yours was proud of you for the discipline!! I can hardly believe it. How could he be proud to see your indifference to such a delightful species? So many women have tried to drown you in their attractions ever since you entered your teenage years. But with absolute heartlessness, you paid no heed to their desirability, leaving a trail of broken hearts. And I am confident that you must have shattered numerous sweet and hopeful dreams even in that foreign land where you went for your studies. If only that cruel and boring man had let me accompany you, I would have been able to soothe the pain of those girls through my charming words and company,” he concluded dejectedly.

“Your charming words and company have sent countless women screaming for help,” Prithvi said dryly. “And let me remind you again that if you try of your depraved stunts while you’re here, you won’t live to see the next day’s sunrise.”

“I hear you loud and clear, dear brother. But I fail to understand your insensitivity to the naive beauty next door,” he said sadly. “I understand that you both go to the same institution. And I have learnt through mysterious sources that the poor girl has to catch a bus and walk in the hot sun to reach the college. I know you only have to go on a few days in the week, but why don’t you offer a ride to Nandini on the days that you both have to attend college?”

Catching the last part of the conversation, Nandini, who had almost stepped on the threshold of the house on her way outside, immediately stopped and stood against the door, aghast at the question. What was Sankatmochan thinking to even consider asking such a question?

Shamli was a small town, and although its culture was slowly changing with the new times, its people were still quite traditional and conservative. No one would pay any heed to seeing her with Prithvi in public, walking and chattering, because she behaved similarly with most people in the locality and they had seen her innate liveliness since infancy.

But if she were seen roaming around on a bike with him in broad daylight….she winced at the thought and closed her eyes, dreading the answer to the tactless question.

“Are you really so stupid?” Prithvi asked angrily. “Do you have any idea what kind of gossip that will cause here? I don’t want any disgusting talk to spread in this hidebound place.”

Leaning against the door, Nandini grinned to herself, relieved and pleased.

“Disgusting talk about who exactly may you be referring to, brother?” Sankatmochan asked slyly. “Because I know for a fact that you couldn’t care less what anyone says or thinks about you.”