Chapter 3

A/N: updated as of 4/28/2020

The next day, I wake up precisely at 6:15 AM to the shrill tones of my alarm clock. I shower quickly and take some time to carefully choose today's outfit--although appearances are important for seniors, I never have the motivation to plan ahead of time--then I apply some light makeup and give up on trying to look like a model. Grabbing my backpack and some food, I head out the door and jump into my black Audi.

I check my phone quickly, and am slightly disappointed that James hasn't texted yet. Oh well, I think, and start the short drive to Chestergrove High School, the hellhole I've attended for the past four years.

I park in the senior lot and make my way inside, spying Rachel talking with some of our other friends by the staircase.

"Hey, everyone," I greet them, and receive a chorus of hello's in return.

"Did you hear that Mrs. Benfield is out getting her knee replaced?" my friend Alison says.

Rachel and I high-five. We're the only two in our friend group who have Mrs. Benfield as our history teacher, and frankly, she sucks.

"Maybe we'll get a sub who will let us just screw around," Rachel says hopefully.

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, right. With our luck, we'll probably get someone who makes us write a bunch of essays." Just then, the warning bell rings, and we all scatter. My first period is English on the second floor, so I have to hurry or I'll be late.

First period passes quickly, as the teacher put on a movie to keep us entertained, but I mostly spent it texting Rachel.

Second period is history, and as always, I'm the first one in the classroom—my history class is literally right next door to my English class. I'm eager to see who our sub is. However, I'm in for a big shock when I recognize the man behind the teacher's desk.

It's James.

"Shit," I breathe, and he looks up from his computer. His eyes widen.

"Lexi?" James exclaims. I nod, speechless. We stare at each other for another moment, until other students start arriving. I drop into my seat, which just so happens to be in front of his desk. Rachel arrives soon, and sits in the seat next to me.

"So, who's our sub?" Rachel asks. "And why do you look like you've seen a ghost?"

"It's James," I manage. "Our sub is James."

"You mean the one you met at—" Rachel starts, but I shush her.

"Yes! And please don't advertise it," I hiss at her. Rachel grins wickedly.

"Oh, this is going to be fun," she murmurs. The bell rings, and James walks to the front of the room.

"Hello, class," James announces, his voice low and sexy. I hear whispers beginning to erupt all around the room.

"My name is Mr. Cartwright," he continues. "I'm going to be your sub for the next week while Mrs. Benfield is gone. This week is probably going to be spent watching movies, because frankly, neither you nor I want to do anything productive." James's eyes land on me as the class laughs, and quickly flit away. I look down at my desk.

He calls roll quickly. Our eyes meet again when he calls my name, and I swear that I can feel his gaze on my skin when I look away.

When James finishes, he instructs us to take out our homework to review it. Sure enough, Mrs. Benfield had assigned us homework after we've already taken our final, because there's definitely a point to it. I dig through my backpack to find it, a five-page packet of free-response questions on the Hundred Years War and the Renaissance.

"May I have a volunteer to read question one and give me the answer?" James asks the class. When no one raises their hand, I reluctantly put mine up. "Ah, Miss Barrington."

I clear my throat. "'Who was Joan of Arc and why was she important?'" My response is thorough, and it takes me almost a full minute to read all of it aloud. I look up at him expectantly when I'm finished. 

"Very good, Miss Barrington," James says approvingly, giving me a smile. "I hope everyone else's responses are as detailed as yours." He continues through the packet, now finding ready volunteers—mostly girls who are eager for his attention.

After we're through the packet, he puts on a movie to the class's delight. He returns to his desk and begins typing on his laptop. But every so often, our eyes meet, and I get little thrill each time. It's strange—I'm almost excited to become his little girl now, instead of being nervous and slightly frightened like I was last night. Maybe it's the prospect of being intimate with James, or the sense of belonging to him that has me like this.

The bell rings far too soon, and we all run out of the classroom. Well, all but me. I take my time putting my things away, hoping that James will say something to me.

"Lexi," he says quietly. "We can't go through with...our deal, now that I'm your teacher for the next week."

I look over at him. "It's only one week until school ends, and yes, we can." I give him a small smile, and he smiles back.

"Weren't you the one protesting this last night?" he says.

"My, how the tables have turned. See you later, Mr. Cartwright," I say sweetly, and sashay out of the room.

A/N: hey lovelies! sorry this chapter is short; I promise the next one will be longer. school starts tomorrow for me (mixed emotions) but I went shopping today so I'm prepared. idk if any of you guys are in school rn but leave a comment telling me about it! oh and please drop comments about who you picture as Lexi. and don't forget to vote. :) xxx