5: ANOTHER CRY IN THE NIGHT

Brad, Clint, and Jimmy begin their adventure to find the island lost in time ...

Brad flinched, moving restlessly in the sand. He felt a chill streak up his spine despite the tropical heat. "Whoa! This story sounds like a nightmare version of The Wizard of Oz."

The native boy hooted. "Right. And the City of Death has long been my Emerald City. But I never dreamed I'd actually get to go there until you two guys showed up."

Clint looked at him with raised eyebrows. "How do you know about the Emerald City? Why do you speak such good English for a native boy?"

Jimmy returned his look with narrowed eyes. "What? Do you think we're a bunch of dummies? Native people are very bright. I was educated here in Lateela Town at the mission, then went to boarding school down in Brisbane for several years. And we read all the classic books in this part of the world too, you know. Even here on Lateela Island and down south in Australia."

"Then why don't you speak like an Aussie?" Clint challenged. "You sound exactly like an American."

Jimmy laughed at Clint's confusion. "My Granny Sal is American. She grew up in San Francisco. She and my mother first taught me English, and the Americans at the mission, so I speak it like they do."

Clint didn't look totally convinced, but Brad broke in before he could say any more and actually insult the boy. "I think you'd better go back to the beginning, Jimmy, How did your American grandmother meet Johnny Fang, a Chinese pirate?"

Jimmy was grinning. He knew he had a captive audience and he liked it. "I told you guys it was a long story. Back then she was just Annie Welles, a pretty American girl visiting her dad who ran a gambling joint in Shanghai. Her parents had divorced years earlier and her dad moved to China. After she completed her education, she sailed out to visit him.

"My grandmother grew up in San Francisco, so she was familiar with the Chinese culture and right off the bat loved Shanghai, way more exciting than any American city of that time. She decided to stay and, being very talented, her dad let her join the showgirls at the casino in their song and dance routines. Eventually she became a featured singer and got to be pretty well-known as 'Shanghai Sal'. A sexy blonde white woman in China back then was a real sight to see, and she became well-known all across the South Pacific."

"I'll bet she did. And then ... poof, gone was the old Annie Welles, huh?" Clint figured. "I suppose she met the notorious Johnny Fang at the casino?"

"Yep, he was a gambler and hung around the club a lot. He went after her as soon as they met and she fell for him, hard. Like in the movies, she always told me. Her dad didn't like the relationship, but he couldn't stop it. Johnny Fang was a man no one dared to cross. He took what he wanted and nobody dared stop him. He and Granny went to Hong Kong where his family lived and they had a traditional Chinese wedding. Then they went off in the black schooner, neither of them ever to return to China again."