Chapter 76

"You know, that's about the fifth time you've counted through your things- The number of supplies almost definitely has not changed in the past three minutes." Theo commented dryly as I once more checked over my list of potions, tools, and bandages, all neatly organized and re-organized into easily accessible drawers and pockets, the most important being kept in the tool-like belt I kept tied around my hips.

"I just want to be prepared."

"Well, you're making me anxious. And annoyed." He grumbled, but handed me the small jar of anti-swelling paste when I held my hand out for it. I shrugged, sliding it into it's new place on the shelf.

"Well, deal with it." I said firmly, stepping back to take a good look at the supplies. I wasn't even sure how often I'd have access to them, how often I'd be able to duck in here and take what I needed. But just looking at them, knowing that if I pushed they were accessible, was comforting in someway. Theo sighed, leaning back against the wall of the Room and watching me carefully.

"It's almost as if you're preparing for something, you know. Gearing up. Getting ready."

"Well, one always has to be ready." I mumbled, but Theo didn't look even half convinced.

"No. Something's coming." He said it nonchalantly, and I half expected him to be idly examining his nails when I turned to frown at him. Instead though he merely stared back at me, unfazed but intent. I frowned.

"You can't tell anyone. If you share those suspicions, you'll get everyone riled up and it'll be harder to help people." I told him, moving back to my shelves to reorganize the few books I had, preferring to put them back into order by subject rather than name.

"How long?" Theo's voice was quiet, and I sighed.

"I'm not sure exactly. But by tonight."

"Tonight?" Theo questioned, voice rising a little in pitch. I managed a small nod, pushing a book into place.

"Almost definitely."

"And you really think you shouldn't tell anyone, shouldn't alert them-"

"Causing panic might result in more tragedies than are already to be expected tonight." I said, turning my head to glare at him. My voice had dropped to a whisper, but remained sharp. "We need people thinking with their heads now. We need everyone to stay as calm as possible. So don't you go off-"

"I won't." Theo interrupted me. His tone was serious, as was his expression. "You're right. Telling them now would only freak them out- And last thing we need is a bunch of panicky Ravenclaws on our hands."

"You've got that right." I muttered, pleased when the books were finally lined up to my current approval. With my mood, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about them in a few minutes. But for now, they were perfect. Theo sighed, falling back into the cot I tried to save exclusively for the injured and unconscious. He narrowed his eyes.

"Do I live?"

"What?" I asked in surprise, eyebrows rising. He shrugged, looking over at me curiously.

"You heard me. Do I live or die- You've got to know." He said, obviously not put off by the wary scowl I gave him. Truth was, I didn't know. Nothing I had ever read mentioned it, and if it had, I didn't remember. Uneasily, I wondered how much I didn't remember. But I didn't want to tell him that. Instead, I fell back on my usual answer.

"If I tell you, it could change things." I said. "If I say you live, you could get cocky and end up getting yourself killed. If I tell you you die, how do you think that might affect your fighting abilities?" I questioned. Theo frowned, shrugging lightly.