Chapter 21 - Practice

Hello my favorite people! So I'd like to shamelessly ask, that if you're a fan of 5 Seconds of Summer, not sure if anyone is, but I started writing a fanfic called Wanderlust, and if you would be so kind as to check it out, that would be amazing. Vote and comment please!

Corrine

Fear is something I've always had, and never realized that one day I would have to face it head on.

We have been doing practice runs through our fear landscapes for weeks. So far, I have five fears. The dark, falling from the bridge, small spaces, open water, and bugs covering my body. I've managed to barely get through each one, with unimpressive times.

I'm meeting Eric early this morning at the practice area. He said that he wanted to try something. I've hardly been able to see him, because he's afraid that max suspects something. I only have to wait one more week before I can be around him whenever I want.

"You're here." He smiles as I walk into the room, closing the door behind me. I have to stop myself from skipping over to him.

I stand on my toes to wrap my arms around his neck, relishing in the feeling of his arms holding me close to him. He leans down and presses his forehead against mine.

"I miss you so much." I whisper to him, touching his cheek with the palm of my hand.

"It's killing me to sleep alone, honestly." He teases, rubbing his nose against mine. I giggle before he lightly brushes his lips over mine.

Every time he kisses me, it feels like the first time. Like fire was bursting through my lips and electricity was coursing through my veins. It was a feeling I would never forget.

"I want to try something. Something to help you." He pecks my lips once more before leading me over to the chair. He sits down and pulls me down to sit between his legs, my back against his chest.

"What are we doing?" I ask confused.

"I'm going into your fear landscape with you. To practice. If I can help you realize that you really can do this, then I want to try." He says as hooks a few wires to us and reaches for the serum syringes.

"I don't think you want to go in there with me. Eric it's..horrible." I rub my hands together nervously.

"I would do anything for you. Do you not understand that? The depths I would go for you? Just let me try." He snakes his arm around my waist and pulls me closer. I sigh loudly and nod my head.

Eric pushes my hair from neck, his fingertips brushing my skin and causing me to sigh, and him softly laugh. Then he gently plunges the needle into my neck. I watch as he does the same to himself. I close my eyes and melt into his chest, my fingers lacing with his.

When I open my eyes again, it's dark. So pitch black that it's endless. My breathing picks up as I realize I'm back in this nightmare.

"It's okay." Eric's voice says. His fingers still laced with mine. I still jump a little when I hear him.

"It worked. You're really in here with me."

"Of course. Now, you have to find your way out, and quickly. The way a Dauntless would." He says into my ear. I breathe deeply, trying to calm my racing heart.

"Okay." He doesn't let go of my hand as I stand up and shuffle my feet across the floor.

I bump into the body again. Shuffling backwards when I do. Remembering the got blood I put my fingertips into the last time.

"You can do this. Keep going. How can you get out of here." He talks to me comfortingly and gently.

I grasp his hand tightly, as I lean down towards the body at my feet. I flinch when my hands touches blood, but instead of curling into a ball and giving up, I let my hand travel over it lightly, until my fingers brush over something cool and metal. I wrap my hand around it and pull it from the body.