six

"You better not go to work today," I said to Luke as I gave him his oatmeal I'd made for him for breakfast before I went out the door for work.

The day dragged on and during my lunch break I called Luke to check in on him to see how he was doing. He was sitting in the living room when I called, having finished his online classes for the day and was playing GTA on our x-box, which was better than him trying to go to work.

I decided to skip my usual stop at Starbucks to come right home to make food for Luke and run him a hot bath. It was pouring down rain outside and I was soaked when I walked in our apartment, shivering from the cold.

I pulled off my drenched rain jacket and walked into the living room, where Luke was snoring on the couch. He stirred when I walked in, probably from my chattering teeth and looked up at me.

"Taylor? What the hell, did you go swimming or something?" He sat up and looked at me in concern.

"No, it is raining buckets outside," I said, unlacing my boots and pulling them off my feet, along with my soaking wet socks.

"Come here, you must be freezing." I felt Luke's hands around my forearm pulling me to the couch with him. I leaned into his warm body and he wrapped his arms around me. I immediately felt more warm.

"I need to go make you some dinner," I said, though I didn't want to get up from where I was sitting with him. I was warm and I was exhausted from the day and didn't want to do anything else.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "You look exhausted. I can make something for myself."

"No, I don't want you getting your germs all over everything in the kitchen," I teased him, smiling and getting up despite my body not wanting to move.

He stuck his tongue out at me as I walked into the kitchen to make some sort of soup for Luke. I searched the cupboards and got out a can of chicken soup to heat up and put some bread in the toaster.

Within 10 minutes, I had two bowls of soup with toast sitting on the table for Luke and I to have for dinner.

"Luke come in here, your soup is ready," I called softly into the dark living room.

Luke trudged into the kitchen with a blanket wrapped around his head and body, squinting at the light of the kitchen. He sat down and slowly brought the spoon of soup to his lips and sipped at it.

I finished mine in no time, informing Luke I was going to run him a hot bath, which he nodded at and I walked into the bathroom. I poured lavender bubble bath into bathtub and turned on the hot water, hot enough to relax the skin but not hot enough to make you light headed.

I set out a warm towel and pajamas for Luke on the bathroom shelf and turned off the water when the tub was full, going into the kitchen where Luke was putting his bowl in the sink.

"The water is run and there's a warm towel and pajamas fresh out of the dryer folded on the shelf for you," I told him, taking his bowl from him and shooing him out of the kitchen to wash the dishes.

I finished them and had cleaned the kitchen in no time and I changed into my own pajamas before I walked into the living room and put on some show on TV to occupy myself with for a while.

I suddenly felt a warm presence next to me and Luke was sitting on the couch next to me, in a new blanket cuddling into my side. I wrapped my arms around him and let him lay his head in my lap.

"Thank you for taking care of me Tay," he said softly, closing his eyes. I brushed my fingers through his damp hair.

Before I knew it, Luke was half asleep and I nudged him, waking him up. I knew there was no way I could carry him to his own bed.

I sent him off to bed before I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and take a shower. I dried my hair before I headed to bed and fell asleep almost immediately.