24.) Third Tries

“Okay, you can do this, Libby. You can do this.” I mumbled to myself as I paced back and forth in my room. Yesterday, after the whole L word confession thingy, we kissed on the pier for quite a long time and then we came back home and acted as if everything was normal, like all we did was go to the store and buy some funfetti cake. I’m pretty sure Jackson told Ryder and Tommy, because he tells them everything like a best friend does with other best friends.

Which is why when we got home yesterday, I made sure that I talked to Holly. I didn’t tell her anything, but we did plan to go out for lunch today, just us two. She would have said no if Kale didn’t make plans with the guys, but he did so we’re going to lunch today. We were leaving in an hour, actually, and I was incredibly nervous. I was hardly okay with not telling her about hooking up with Jackson multiple times, but I can’t not tell my best friend that he dropped the L bomb. And I did too, really. That’s not something you can hide from your best friend, it just isn’t. I mean, he didn’t ask me to be his girlfriend or anything, but love is such a… dramatic word.

And I did love Jackson. I didn’t know it until yesterday while I was sitting on the pier and spilling my heart out to him, but I do. And whenever I thought about it, it brought a smile to my face. Not just a smile, a full blown grin. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt so happy and relieved and like everything was finally going right.

But I still had to tell Holly, and since we’re going to lunch, there’s really no way that she can escape me and the news that I bare. I don’t know how it’s going to go, but there might be a fight. Not like a fist throwing, physical fight because that would just never happen. But Holly could potentially get very mad and depending on what she says, I may get very mad and nothing will turn out okay.

As I paced frantically around my room to waste time, there was a knock on the door of my room.

“Come in.” I called, very shakily.

Ryder walked in the room slowly with a concerned frown on his face. “You okay?”

I nodded. “I’m fine.”

“Then what’s up with the pacing? And the dress.” Ryder asked. I looked down at my blue sundress, it was pretty and it matched my white sandals. I figured that I might as well look pretty today, since I was going out to lunch and everything. I even had my favorite necklace on- it was a rainbow cake, and I was using my best phone case, it was white and on the back it said “You’re my favorite human” on the back. I didn’t think any of this would make this lunch go any smoother, but it makes me feel better for some reason.

“Well, I’m going to lunch with Holly in a little bit.” I explained.

“Okay, you go to lunch with Holly a lot, don’t you?” He asked slowly, shutting my bedroom door and coming into the room completely.

“Well, yeah, I guess. But I know that you know what happened yesterday.” I told him, forcing my feet to stop moving and to do that, I sat down on the edge of my bed.

“Yeah, he told me.” Ryder admitted.

“I figured that.” I huffed. “Well, I’m going out to lunch with Holly to tell her… everything, I guess.”

“Why would you do that?” He asked me incredulously.

“Because best friends tell each other everything. I should have told her when all of this started during Tommy’s party, but I didn’t. And sneaking around to have sex is one thing, but that word. The L word, I can’t hide that from her. That’s huge. That’s huger than huge. You and Jackson are best friends and he told you everything from the start because he’s a good best friend, unlike me.”