Dream Catch Me - Chapter Two

The first thing I noticed about the stranger were his eyes. However cliche it may seem, they captured mine, letting the world sink away. The frozen chill of the air seemed to heat up as we continued to stare at each other.

I was the first to break away, gaining back the composure he managed to make me lose. While finding my footing again, hoping this time was more successful, I grumbled "Thank you", half lost by the croak in my throat.

Stepping back and lifting my gaze to anywhere but his eyes, I noticed his blonde hair was flicked across his eyes. It looked effortless, the messy yet perfectly styled way that complemented his appearance. His leather jacket over a green jumper, perfectly fitting black jeans and the brown leather converse all matched, making him look like a Abercrombie & Fitch model. I always managed to embarrass myself in front of attractive people, one of the reasons I was bullied for so long; the cute boys I liked thought I was creepy with my embarrassing moments around them.

One time, while sneaking a peak at the famous James, the one everyone idolised, he caught my eye. This causing me to jump in fright and fall off my chair, gaining a concussion and a few stitches on my brow as my head made contact with the metal of the desk. Despite bleeding at a rapid rate and feeling extremely dizzy, half the class laughed, not one offering their hand to help me up. From then on I tried my best to not look at James, or anyone for that matter in fear of causing myself more embarrassment and teasing.

Not wanting to make another embarrassing moment and potential for emotional scarring, I turned on my heel and started to flee the scene.

"W-wait!" I heard from behind me, the angelic voice causing me to halt mid stride. Slowly I turned around, this time daring to look into his jade green eyes that once held me prisoner. Without saying a single word, I continued to stare, beginning to bite the corner of my lip out of a nervous force of habit.

"Are you okay? I think you're bleeding? On your left hand?" he said.

Looking down to my left hand I saw a trickle of blood travelling from my wrist down into my palm before dripping onto the ground from my pinkie finger. Out of surprise I let out a squeak, "Oh!"; his right eyebrow rose in a questioning look as if to ask me if I were okay. I hardly felt pain anymore, after so many bullying episodes went too far. So this graze on my wrist was nothing, if not just a hassle to me.

I put on a fake smile showing my perfectly straight teeth, hoping to distract him from the dullness in my eyes, and said in a voice as cheery as I could make it, "Just a scratch, no hassle, but thank you for saving me from slipping again!"

His brow scrunched in confusion, scrutinising my word choice. Before he could say anything else I turned on my heel again, this time hoping he would let me go. When no reply came I turned around and saw him still standing there, watching my retreating back. I wondered why he was still standing there? Maybe he wasn't lost at all, and was waiting for someone? Probably his model girlfriend. That's it, one of his girlfriends, those model types, all the same! I thought to myself.

Except that last time I turned around I dared to look into those eyes, it was only then I saw a hint of dullness behind his incredible looks. A dull like mine. A scarred and hurting dull. I wanted to turn around again, for the umpteenth time this morning and run into his arms to make his hurt heal, to relieve him of his pain.

Instead, I continued down the pathway without looking back and giving in to my temptations this time.

-

I circled around the town, discovering my new home as a went along. The Italian restaurants, vintage shops, second hand stores, the little convenience store and the music shop all making me feel like I was in the right place. Maybe it was this time I would settle in nicely, even make a friend? A real one.