Footsteps in Time (Chapter Six)

David

I am Prince Llywelyn's son. I am Mom's and Prince Llywelyn's son. David awoke alone—suddenly alone—in his own, solitary, single, never-to-be-shared-with-anyone room in the castle, and found himself choking on semi-hysterical laughter. No longer the son of a man he'd never met, and whom hardly anyone in his family remembered much about or spoke of, he was the son of the Prince of Wales. I am a Prince of Wales!

Admittedly, one of David's first actions upon entering the room was to throw himself upon the bed, spread-eagled, and rejoice in the comfort of the down mattress. Then, he imagined himself going up to Fychan and mentioning, offhand and casually, that he was late for sword play today because he'd just left his father in his office where they'd discussed important business. His father.

Despite his fantasies, dinner the night before had been the most awkward meal of David's life. Anna had joined the high table too, sitting between him and Goronwy. She'd seemed completely relaxed and had talked animatedly with Goronwy, whose usually severe expression had been transformed by his joy that Anna remembered him.

David, for his part, hadn't known how to act. He didn't know how to be a son; how to be a Prince of Wales. Prince Llywelyn—Father—had asked David to sit beside him, and he'd done so, but he'd knocked over his water glass, dropped parsnips down his front, and generally made a fool of himself within the first five minutes. Father had then grabbed David's arm as he was reaching for his cup and held it.

He'd smiled, though his eyes were serious. "Are you a different person from this morning, son?"

"No," David had said, "and yes. I don't know how to be a prince."

"Don't think of it that way," Father said. "Just be my son."

"I don't know how to be that either," David said. "I've never had a father."

"Then be the man you were this morning," Father said. "That man is a Prince of Wales."

That was an oddly comforting thought, other than his use of the word 'man', which was still taking some getting used to. Then Father spoke again. "When your mother returned to your world, she didn't marry?"

Anna stilled beside him at the question.

"No," David said.

"Ahh," Father sat back in his chair. Then David thought he heard him mutter under his breath, "Good," but he wasn't sure. Did he still think of her too, or was it just that now I was here, he was thinking of her? He had married someone else.

Anna poked David's leg under the table and leaned closer. "His whole life, Wales, and the Middle Ages is what Mom studies! She talks about him all the time and nobody suspects a thing!"

"There's no way we could have known," David said, "but it feels like we've been blind."

"It was your heritage," Anna said, "but she couldn't tell you anything about it."

"And how does it make you feel?" David said, suddenly concerned. "We're only half-siblings now."

"I'm still your older sister," she said, starch in her voice. "Don't think just because you're the Prince of Wales that it makes any difference to me."

Father overheard. "You're a princess, my dear. I'll not hear otherwise."

Anna ducked her head and focused on her food.

Ha! "Accept it, Anna," David said, leaning close again. "It might get you out of some sewing."

She didn't say anything after that, but she was smiling.