Part nine

Dean P.O.V.

I slipped my arm around Jack's waist, wanting to feel as close to him as possible. I didn't know what friends did when they were together, but I was 99.9% sure they didn't do what me and Jack were doing right now. I cringed at the thought of the chance that was Jack straight, but I didn't want to bring it up and scare him away so I just enjoyed the warmth we were sharing. I wasn't even sure if Jack knew what he doing, being 14 years old neither of us were the most experienced when it came to relationships, but I wondered if the majority of it was instinct. I didn't want to say that I was girl out of the two of us, but my hair and height and Jack's protective arm me said otherwise. 

I had never been in love before, but I knew I was falling for this boy. No one had to tell me what it was like to be in love, I just knew. It had been noticed at home too, according to my mother I had been the happiest she had ever seen me when I got back from being with Jack, Dan had raised his eyebrows and smirked at me which made blush but Scarlett took turns to look at the three us individually, not quite understanding. 

I wanted to confess what I was feeling for Jack right there and then, but whenever I opened my mouth to start, the words got caught in my throat and then I ended up thinking through every possible outcome and silently scolded myself for nearly ruining everything I'd ever wanted. I noticed I was tense and relaxed, melting into Jack and for one of the first times in my life, being thankful for my height. Since it had always been me looking after people, it was nice that it was the other way for a change. 

"Dean?" 

"Yeah?" 

"Are you okay with... with this?"

"Yeah, are you?" 

"I guess so... Dean?" 

"What?" 

"Does this mean anything? We're just friends aren't we?" 

"Yeah, we are," just friends. The words didn't go together, but as long as I had Jack, I would be okay with us being anything. I suppose doing things like this didn't hurt anyone. These types of moments were just harmless things, they didn't have any real meaning. I kept telling myself I was fine with that, but I knew I was lying to myself. 

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" 

"I've always been interested in film-making, but I've never got round to it. I don't want to have a normal job, you know? I think I'd be happiest making videos with someone and making money from them, but I don't think that'll ever happen. What about you?" 

"I keep telling my parents I want to be a doctor, but I can't think of anything worse. Film-making sounds fun, what made you want to do that?" 

"It's just always appealed to me. If I ever did anything like it I'd focus it on humour, I like making people laugh." 

"You should start making videos."

"It wouldn't feel right doing it alone, I'd want someone to do it with me," Jack Howard for the love of God please pick up this hint. 

"Get your brother to do it with you." 

"He's too young."

"Friends?" 

"You are my only friend, you should know that Jack." 

"So you want me to do it with you?" 

"I don't think I have a choice." 

"Don't act like you don't want to Dean," he said, messing up hair causing me to squirm and sit up straight so I could sort it. 

"Not the hair Jack!" I moaned, shaking my head so it fell back into place.