Chapter 33

"You know it's love when all you want is that person to be happy, even if you're not part of their happiness." - Julia Roberts

XXXIII.

"How old are you, Rika?" Grandpa asked me as he moved a shogi piece on the board. I sat opposite from him and we sat on the usual grassy ground under the tree of cherry blossoms, playing shogi. It became our bonding.

"16," I answered without hesitation. "And turning 17 a few hours from now." I made my move then lifted my head to look at my grandfather whose focus was only at the game. "Why did you ask?"

"Oh, nothing," He gave me a sheepish smile. "It just felt like it was only yesterday when I taught you how to play shogi."

I tried to smile back then shifted my gaze on the board. "Oh," I mumbled with a sad tone. "I'm sorry, grandpa, I still couldn't remember-"

"It's fine," He reassured me then looked into my eyes. "You don't need to remember."

My forehead creased in confusion but then he only made it worse when he changed the subject. "And by the way, you already told the truth to his mother and to your friend," He trailed off then crossed his arms and arched an eyebrow. "When are you planning to tell me?"

"Huh?" I asked with a frown, I'm sure the quizzical expression was written all over my face.

Grandpa shook his head at me then chuckled. "No, I think that's not the right term," He muttered to himself. "The real question is, when are you planning to tell him?"

I blinked in absolute confusion. "What am I going to tell him?" I knew he referred to Akashi-kun. However, I didn't know that I had a plan to tell him something.

He face-palmed himself. "God, Rika, why you so dense?" He asked out of frustration while his palm was still on his face.

I frowned then pondered about what he was talking about. The last friend that I talked to was Kisa but I didn't told her anything regarding Akashi-kun. As for Reo, I did told him about- wait, I did tell him something about Akashi-kun... and the same goes for his mother.

"Oh," I just mumbled as realization hit me. "That..."

Grandpa smirked. "Yes, that." He affirmed. "Finally admitted it, eh? Surpassing the Tsundere stage?" He teased me.

I gave him a glare. "I'm not a Tsundere, grandpa." I stated firmly but then a thought crossed to my mind which caused me to mirror his expression. "Unless..." I trailed off intentionally then put a thinking gesture.

Grandpa raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "Unless?"

"Unless I got it from you." I said cheekily then wiggled my eyebrows.

He just shook his head with a laugh. "The last time I checked, I wasn't always in denial so I'm sure I'm not a Tsundere, nope." He explained, sure.

I rolled my eyes then pouted. "Whatever."

"Anyways, happy birthday, Rika." He said with a gentle smile and it made all of my annoyance towards him fade away so easily.

I smiled then shook my head as if he had no hope in life. "Seriously, you're annoying and wonderful at the same time."

"Um, thank you?"

I giggled then looked at him. "Thank you, grandpa."

His face turned serious and the question that came out of his mouth took me off guard. "What are you going to do when you get home?"