Chapter 38- Epiphany [E]

The overwhelming need to beat Nathan to a bloody pulp blinded any sense of logic thought.  After Annie fully exited the room, Julien confronted Nathan, pulling him by the lapels of his suit jacket demanding why he spoke to Annie the way he did.

After an aggressive push from Nathan with no explanation, Julien gave into that need and hit Nathan in the face.  The fight ended with shouts and screams in the air and Julien's fist throbbing painfully from punching Nathan in the jaw. 

They were pulled apart by Victor and Patrick who stood between them, pushing them away from each other.  Nathan tried attacking Julien in retaliation, but security entered right before Nathan could avenge himself. He was pushed and shoved out the entrances double doors.

Julien stood in his office looking down behind the privacy windows of his private club. He felt like the weight of the world was stacked heavily against his chest.

Duncan paced behind him, firing questions, "Why did you and Nathan fight? What happened?"

"He insulted Angelica." Julien replied absentmindedly with an added shrug, turning to face his old friend.

And he would do it all over again.

"What?" Duncan looked confused "What do ya mean mate?"

"He had his hand around her arm in a vice grip, wouldn't release her after several attempts, insulted her verbally. I couldn't just stand there and allow him to get away with it. I was defending the lady's honor." Clenching and unclenching his fist. It was a dull throb now but nothing unbearable.

"Did you get your memory back? You're acting like you care for the lass." Duncan asked with hope.

"What does my memory have anything to do with any of this? However, I do get small bits and pieces, flashbacks, you could say.  Why?" Duncan's tone sounded like he was withholding something.

Duncan looked away, uncertainty furrowed his brow. Julien narrowed his eyes suspiciously.

"What are you implying by your question Duncan?"

He did not answer.

"Tell me dammit! I have a right to know!" He roared.

"Do you feel anythin' toward the lass?" He asked Julien in all seriousness.

He witnessed how detached Annie looked.  As much as she tried concealing her emotions, Duncan could not help but catch the sorrow in her eyes. She was a woman scorned, betrayed, hurt. He suspected Julien's renewed interest and needed to acknowledge the face before informing Julien of his past missing memories.  It needed to be done before more damage occurred.   The girl did not deserve to live in misery and suffering and his beloved friend needed to know regardless of his missing memories. 

Julien hesitated, raking a hand through his hair. What was Duncan implying?  He did not knowing if he should voice his feelings out loud. But something inside took over when he blurted, "Yes." Before he could stop himself. The confession spilled out of his lips, releasing the biggest secret he's ever kept to himself. 

Duncan was the one he would go to confide his troubles and worries most times.  Ever since he first laid eyes on her at Sonny's wedding, an instant attraction formed, like two magnets coming together and he never uttered his burning interest. 

All this time he's kept his feelings bottled up inside.  Julien never asked about her to anyone of his family, learning all he could by observation.  He did not understand why he felt the need to keep silent but he stubbornly did.  He never told a living soul.