Chapter 24

"What the Hell do you think you're doing?" Meredith took a step back, her eyes on Bart.

"What does it look like? You want to leave me? You want to steal my son? I can't let that happen."

"So you're going to kill me?" Meredith laughed. "What if that gunshot was the police? What if they're here to come get you? Ms. Deleon looked like the type that wouldn't put up with the likes of you."

Bart shrugged, "The likes of me? It's her word against mine. Who do you think they're going to believe?"

"That depends. Does she have a criminal record? Probably not. You do."

"Women do crazy things when they desperately want a baby. I'm sure I can persuade a police officer to believe me. Especially if he's a man," Bart took another step towards his wife.

"You cheat on me while we're married and now you want to take my life?"

"You didn't let me touch you as soon as you found out you were pregnant. What was I supposed to do?"

"Honor our marriage vows. Remind yourself why you married me to begin with," Meredith was feeling around behind her for anything she could use as a weapon. Her hands found a book but that wouldn't do her any good. She felt a crystal vase filled with some kind of plant.

"You were a good wife Meredith. Most of the time. You helped me run this place which I have to admit made meeting women easier than I thought. I feel like you deserve to know the truth."

"The truth about what?" Meredith asked, her hands placing a firm grip on the vase. She had to time this just right.

"That baby in your stomach won't be my first child," Bart admitted. His wife's shocked expression made him giggle. "Are you really that surprised?"

"Not if I'm being truthful to myself. You've never been faithful. Callie Sommerby was carrying your child, wasn't she?"

"Probably."

"Did you force her?" Meredith gulped down a heavy dose of fear.

Bart's face contorted into an evil look of disgust, "That bitch wanted it and then she pretended she was a faithful wife. I admit it. I drugged her. How else was she going to get pregnant when her husband was shooting blanks?"

"You're insane," Meredith whispered.

"No. She was insane! Who sees a hypnotist to try and remember your past lives? She came hollering over here about remembering what happened. She was a total freak. I wouldn't have touched her if she didn't have those delectable bre-"

"Shut up!" Meredith rammed the vase into the side of her husband's head, causing him to drop the statue he was carrying and tumble over. She scrambled out of the cabin as quickly as her unbalanced body would allow her. She knew she had to call the police. More importantly, she knew she had to hide. She ran towards the wooded area towards the hidden cabin Bart would never look at to find her.

------------------

Molly banged on the door of the cabin but no one answered. She wriggled the doorknob and gave a prayer of thanks when it turned, allowing her entrance. She quickly entered and locked the door behind her.

"Hello? Is anyone here?"

She let the silence envelop her as she looked around the cabin. The lights were on so someone had to have been here recently. She wandered down a short corridor that led to an unlocked door. She opened the door and saw a short stairway that led into darkness.

"Hello? Is anyone there? I need some help," she called out.

She waited a few beats before walking down the wooden steps. She guided her way by keeping her hands on the stone walls as her eyes adjusted to the darkness.