Chapter 22

One week had pass and the pack seemed surrounded by death. Since his brother's funeral, Marc was practically all day at home, barricaded behind the doors of his room. Kyle was trying to busy himself with plans and new strategies to prevent what had happen. In the end, there was little he could do. The attacks came from everywhere and Kyle was starting to suspect that whoever sent them, wanted to find a way, a weak point on his barriers, to enter the territory for some unknown reason. A part of him thought that the target was Emily. Maybe someone wanted her, but for what? He had no idea.

Emily decided not to argue with Kyle about her position anymore. Actually, she was relieve to be surround by children that seemed oblivious to the dark aura the pack was living.

Actually, guarding the kindergarten wasn't as bad as Emily had predicted. She had imagined her days to be boring and without disturbs, which had turn out to be false. In truth, the kids were like little devils prepared to strike at their first opportunity. Of course it were little fights, without serious danger, but at the end of her first day she was exhausted. Strangely, she felt happy with the little monsters. The sister of Kris's mate had insisted that Emily should play dolls with her and after almost twenty minutes of arguing, she had agree with it.

The training sessions continued. For Emily, everyday after being at the kindergarten, she would go home eat lunch and train in the afternoons. For the other warriors, if they had patrols, they would rest after them and train later.

Sunday arrived and Emily didn't know what to do. She was bored. The Tv-shows didn't appeal her and the bright sun outside was calling her to get out of the four walls. She could feel her wolf begging to be let out. Making up her mind, she went to the thick line of trees.
A sudden sound of some branch breaking made her turn.
"Hey Emily! Are you going for a run? May I join?" Jake stood, casually, beside a tree.

"Yeah, sure. Wait here so I can shift." She said, walking behind a big tree to take of her clothes.

"Do you have to hide?" Seeing her glance in his direction with furtive eyes, he added. "Just kidding."

Three minutes later, both were in wolf form, ready to venture through the forest. Jake's wolf was a shade of grey with white paws.
They started at a slow pace, till both decided it was time to start a race. It felt good to have the wind caress her fur, her paws hit the ground, pushing Emily to go faster. Eventually, they stopped beside the cabin where they had made the test to the warriors rankings.

"Do you wanna fight a bit?" Emily asked, positioning her body to launch at Jake.

He answered her by making the first move.

Kyle was at his office when he heard the front door close. Since he knew Marc was still in his room and Luke was training the youngest warriors, he presumed that it was Emily going out. He wanted to ignore the impulse to look out the window, but in the end, he found himself looking at the forest outside. With his sharp vision he saw her enter the line of trees and his head skip a beat. He didn't want to forbid her from running, but the situation in the pack was precarious, to say the least. He ran out of his study just in time to see Luke entering the mansion.

"Are you going out?" The man asked, turning in the direction of the kitchen, probably to grab some food.

"Yes. I have some business to take care of." His vague answer made his friend raise an eyebrow in question.

Not wanting to waste more time, Kyle just shrugged and went for the door.

"Some newbies started a fight today but I already took care of it. So if you see some boys making community service, you know why."

Kyle just nodded, before exiting. He walked fast to the forest, not wanting to shift just yet.

His self control snapped when he saw Emily's clothes along with another's that obviously belong to a male.
The logical part of him was trying to make him seen some sense. He couldn't control with who Emily wanted to be.
The other part, the possessive one, was eager to shift and go find his mate. Just remembering how she had felt pressed against his body, like she belonged there, at his side, made him lose control. He shifted in seconds and followed her scent.