Two - Is This Seat Taken?

"Ugh

"Ugh." Math class. Not my favorite way to begin the day, even if it was one of my best subjects. Still clutching my crumpled schedule, I walked into a classroom with barren walls and took a seat near the back of the room. Just as I pulled a pencil and notebook out of my bag, the shrill of the bell went off. It echoed throughout the school and scaring away any doubt that I was here to stay for at least another hour of my life.

As if to avoid any possible escape attempts, the awkward looking man at the front of the room, which I could only guess to be the teacher, walked over to the open door to shut it. However, when he was only a few feet away from reaching the door, our last class member strode in to join us, making me wish spontaneous human combustion was possible.

"Kellan," the teacher said. "I see your punctuality hasn't improved since last year." He plucked a piece of chalk from the tray. "Let's hope your math skills have. I trust that you can find a seat so that we can get started."

"Uhhh, will do Mr. Mac." He looked around to see which one of the three remaining seats he should claim in the room. His gaze was locked in on my location like he had radar in his head. He nodded in my direction, letting me know in silent acknowledgment, yup, I'm definitely taking that chair. Then he smirked and headed in a beeline toward the seat behind me.

Double torture served up on a stick. Should I die from my earlier clumsiness or from my obvious gawk-fest that I had earlier? Oh, let me see, how about the random blundering remarks my mouth spewed earlier? Maybe I should just start a list, at this rate, it would probably be easier to keep track of. Can someone just put me out of my misery, please? I began to panic. I wanted to bury my face in my hands like an ostrich and pretend I wasn't here, but at some point in time I'd have to surface, so I might as well face whatever he had planned to dish out.

When he brushed past me to get to his seat, my heart raced and a million tingling goosebumps raised all over my arms. Without needing to turn around to watch him, I listened to what he was doing. He had taken his seat and was rummaging through his bag looking for something.

I forced my attention back to the front of the room where the teacher dropped the piece of white chalk he was holding back into the chalkboard tray. When he stood back from the board, the name Mr. McIntyre was written in messy large capital letters across the middle of the board.

"For those of you who don't know me, my name is Mr. McIntyre or Mr. Mac will also be fine too, as Kellan has already mentioned." He smiled. "This year, your grades will base on the results of twenty-five chapter tests that will be covered in this textbook," he said, holding a huge book. "Each of you will require a textbook to complete the year, so no time like the present, please come up to take a book from the table next to my desk, then return to your seats once you have your book."

A moment later, an orchestra of chairs scraped against the floor creating a noise that reverberated throughout the room as everyone moved to stand up and claim the least marked up version of text they could find.