Chapter 36: Neighbours

"Took you long enough." Jen comments as Heath takes a seat beside me. Heath's expression was more stiff now than before and I can't help, but think he knows I picked up Dylan's call.

Jen and I continue eating as Heath fills his plate with Chinese takeout noodles. The fork was halfway in my mouth full of noodles when I feel Heath's warm breath fanning my earlobe.

"I need to talk to you tonight. And it's not a request." He dangerously states. I avert my eyes down on the right and see him sitting up again. I don't dare move my head and continue eating remarkably slow.

He seems mad. Don't do something stupid Riley. Why the fuck am I so scared?! He shouldn't have this effect on me. Fuck it. I abruptly drop my fork down on the plate causing a loud clanking sound. I skid my chair back and angrily walk up the stairs. Pull your fricken self together. Nobody scares you, nobody controls you.

I walk into the study room and turn on the laptop. I have way too much on my plate to be worrying about how Heath makes me feel right now. I start searching for the best gynaecologist.

*********

It's twelve thirty a.m. Jen came up checking on me around twelve asking why I had left like that. I didn't feel like making up any unnecessary excuses so I told her that I'm having a bad day.

I learned from my research that the best gynaecologist is in New York who goes by the name Dr. Bethany Roy. I'm considering going next week before break ends, because I need to know what's wrong and how to cure it. I cannot go another three days with that kind of pain again.

After I researched for a while, I grabbed a random book off the shelf and started reading. That's exactly what I'm doing right now.

Even when I'm reading it's still in my mind that Heath is going to come to talk to me and I subconsciously keep looking at the doors. I've tried to focus on the book, but I just end up staring at it.

The door clicks open and I slam my book shut. Heath walks in and I swallowed another lump in my throat.

"Let's go for a walk." He says standing at the door. He's not asking just do it Riley and do not start a fight.

I silently nod and get up to follow him. I follow him all the way outside of the metal gates and soon we start walking down the deserted roads.

"So what did you want to talk about?" I ask about ten minutes into our 'walk'. I considered making one those 'is this where you kill me' comments, but this situation felt too serious for that.

He stops in his steps. His hands were tucked into the pockets of his jeans. I cross my arms and stop in front of him. "Did you pick up Dylan's call?" He asks trying to hide his anger.

"No." I answer duly.

"Are you sure? Because it says that I had a minute and a half conversation with Dylan at precisely six oh five, but that's impossible, because I was in the shower. I really don't remember taking my phone in with me." My face goes pale and my heart starts racing. "Did you or did not answer Dylan's call on my phone?" His pupils start to dilate and now I know for sure he's fricken deadly.

"Yeah. Okay. I did answer Dylan's call, but I don't know what the big deal is. The connection was so fricken bad all I kept saying was hello I didn't even hear anything he said." Believe me believe me believe me! Oh and PLEASE!

Heath raises his eyebrows and loosens his posture just a little," So why did you lie at first?"

"Because I thought you'd get pissed off if you knew I touched your phone." He nods. His expression drops and his cheeks turn a little red.