Chapter 40: No more lies

Okay Riley just calm down. Just listen to Heath. Heath paid for a hotel down town and is currently in the kitchen talking to Dylan on the phone. It's only been an hour since everything happened.

I sat there impatiently as Heath went on with his conversation. Both our clothes started to dry off, and I guess that they'll have to be our pj's for the night as well. He finally ends the call and comes towards me. "Did you bring your phone?"

"Yeah." I say. I reach into my pocket and give it to him. He walks over to the balcony and I follow him. Before I could figure out what he was doing, he throws both of our phones down.

"Heath!" I shriek," Why would you do that?!" He walks back in and I follow him. "Heath you can't just walk around like I'm not here. You need tell me the truth. No more lies."

"I did everything to keep you away from all of this, but you being you ruined everything."

"I ruined everything?! I saved your life. That guy could've killed you!"

"Then you wouldn't have killed him!" I look at the anger through his eyes. "You don't even know how hard it'll be for me if something happened to you because of me. You killed that guy because of me." He states.

"I killed that guy because I had to. You didn't make me do anything. I'm the one responsible for his death. I'm the one who followed you there." I say looking down at my wet shoes. "Just tell me the truth." I beg. A hot tear slips down my cheek.

"Riley it's the man that killed my parents. I've been tracking him for years and he agreed to meet me last night, but he didn't show. Instead he got someone else to try and kill me."

"And that's exactly why I followed you. You spiked my water! You're lucky I was there."

"I know I was, but you weren't."

"Heath you shouldn't care about me." I frown.

"It's too late, Princess." He says softly. I look up at him, but his head was looking down.

Change the subject before the either of us says something we don't want to. "What's the plan? Are we just going to stay here without our phones or money?"

"The plan is to lay low for a while. I'm going to withdraw some cash and talk to Dylan using a payphone. No one and I mean no one, can know where the four of us are. I don't even know where Dylan and Jen are, and they don't know where we are either."

"What are we up against?"

"Rich, filthy, and evil people."

"Okay." I shrug. I've gotten myself involved in this shit, so I can't really complain about it. That and I will most definitely not let Heath take the blame for that guy's death.

"Riley?"

"Mhm?"

"I'm sorry." His voice more quiet than usual.

"I told you it's not your fault, but if apologizing helps you sleep at night then you're forgiven for doing absolutely nothing wrong." I weakly smile. Heath turns around to leave, but groans in pain as he grabs his chest. "Heath!" I gasp.

"I-I'm okay." He breathes out. I roll my eyes and turn him around so I can see all the dry blood covering his face.

"Just sit down here. Don't move and more importantly don't complain." I strictly state before heading to the main bathroom. I go through the cupboard, and grab the first aid box.

I sit down beside Heath on the sofa. I take out a cotton ball, and put some medicine on it before I start cleaning the wounds on his face.

Why is he not telling me everything? Does he not trust me? I've done so much for him. Why can't he just stop risking his life? I can't tell him to back away, I don't have the right to, but if he's not going to stop then I can't leave him on his own either.