Chapter 15: Another Anomaly.

Chapter 15

~Adrian’s POV~

“You shouldn’t play with your food sweetie”

I looked up at him while I continued to move the food around in my plate with the fork. I’d lost my appetite.

“Are you always like this?” I questioned, not particularly wanting to know but I figured talking about something as inconsequential as his habits was sure to get my mind off things.

“Always like what?” Rivers questioned. His expression became guarded and his back straightened as if he was about to defend himself.

“All...motherly” I said after failing to come up with a better word for it.

He relaxed instantly and grinned, “Well I wouldn’t have to fuss over you if you’d eat the thing.” He said and I forced a smile for his benefit.

It didn’t fool him.

I watched as he pushed up from the counter and came to stand beside me where he held out his hand. I looked at it in askance and he reached over to pull the fork from my hand; it clattered to the plate and before I could question his actions he was pulling me from my seat and dragging me over to the living room.

Not a minute later we were both seated on the largest couch in the room and he was prodding me for information I didn’t want to share.

“You might as well just tell me, it’s not like I’m gonna go spill your secrets to the world or anything.”He said looking at me expectantly.

I shook my head, “No offence Rivers  but I’m just not in the mood for this alright?”

“I swear you’re always so grumpy, you need to loosen up.” He told me.

“Why are you here anyway?  You know nothing about me, yet you find every reason to be around me.” I said now genuinely curious.

“I don’t know, there’s just something about you that just screams be my friend.” He said and I raised an eyebrow.

“There’s something about an alleged drug dealer that screams be my friend?” I questioned in disbelief and he snorted.

“Yeah right Adrian, there’s nothing alleged about what you do.” He said knowingly, then; “Speaking of your evil deeds, what made you start?” he asked.

“My parents died in a fire when I was a teen, I had my brothers to take care of…the usual.” I said offering very little and he nodded.”

“It’s weird how you can just talk about it, aren’t you afraid of being arrested? I mean here you are admitting to me that you’re not exactly working within the scope of the law.”

“I haven’t really admitted anything to anyone, you’ve all just sort of figured it out and as far as the authorities go… they don’t stand a chance.” I told him confidently and he tapped his pinky onto his chin, his expression pensive.

“Lucas is better than I am, I don’t know if I’d be able to date a dealer.” He said and my mood soured even more. I turned away from him. I was getting really tired of everyone feeling the need to comment on my life and my relationship with Lucas but as I opened my mouth to say just that the front door burst open and Lucas came sauntering in.

 He didn’t spot us immediately and it was only when Rivers cleared his throat to get his attention that he turned to look in our direction. I watched as his eyes flickered from Rivers to me before he lowered his gaze and mumbled a quick hello.