Chapter 22

So this chapter is a little rushed so sorry. Things are gonna get very heated up soon. Get ready you guys. 

.

.

.

Chapter 22

Dinner went by quickly and silently after Alessio gave his answer. How can they say anything when he just sent most of these men and even woman to shame in under five minutes? He had been everything they weren't.

Ashley looked up him in the corner of her eyes. 

He ate his food without making any kind of noise. 

She couldn't even hear his fork scraping the bottom of the plate like she did with other people. 

His movements were soft and graceful almost as if he had practiced them his entire life. Occasionally, he would look down at his food but his stare was directed to the wall opposite of him.

Everything about him in that moment stilled.

Despite how he managed to insult half of the men in the room, they admired him. They admired his honesty and his calmness. 

He did not result to anger like Dante did nor did he subject himself to Dante's hate. He stood strong, tall, and proud. A man like him would have made it far in the world of business. No one would be able to undermine him and he would have all the shareholders on their knees.

Ashley finished whatever was left on her plate and placed down her utensils. She looked at her father, giving him a look that showed her displeasure with him. Crossing her arms over her chest she then turned to Mayla and focused her frustration on her.

Mayla smiled and shrugged a shoulder before bringing her spoon full of soup to her mouth. "It's rude to stare, Ash."

Ashley scoffed and rolled her eyes. She looked around the tables, her eyes landing back on Dante's face.

He's angry, she concluded. The angriest that she has ever seen him but unlike other times, he sits there, unmoving. He's trying to not make a scene anymore, knowing how Alessio will have the upper hand each and every single time.

Ashley smiled in amusement.

So the mighty Dante is finally beaten.

"What are you smiling at?" Alessio asked her.

She shook her head and turned to him. "It's nothing."

He raised his eyebrows up at her but said nothing. He only stood up. "Thank you for the meal, Mr. Valldarri, but I need to get going now. It was nice meeting all of you." He nodded at them and turned back to Ashley.

She got up from her seat also. Brushing her dress, she sent him her best smile. "I'll walk you out."

Alessio shook his head at her and placed his palm on her stomach. "It's alright Ashley. You should rest. The little one is going to need a lot of it."

Ashley shuddered slightly. Unknowingly, she placed her hand on top of his. "Come on. A little bit of walking won't kill me."

Alessio stiffened for a second. He walked forward with his hand on the small of her back. "Don't put you and kill in the same sentence ever again."

Ashley grinned at him as they walked towards the door. "Afraid to lose one of your patients, Dr. Morcelli?"

Alessio shook his head and opened the door. Ashley removed her hand. He shoved his fingers into his pockets. "No. Just you." He turned around and walked away. "I'll see you in five days, Ashley."