Chapter Twenty Two

• Dedicated to ToAllYouAmazingPeople

<><><><><><><>

Recap: Breathlessly, we parted and stepped back from each other. My lips felt swollen just from the brief kiss we shared.

"Got enough air?" he breathed, breaking the tension that had begun to form between us.

"Yeah. I think so."

Without another word, we both turned and re-entered the school of doom. I couldn't resist the smile that found itself on my face. Until, I realised why I needed air in the first place. My stomach dropped at the thought and suddenly I felt sick all over again.

I wish tomorrow would never come...

Dedication: Everyone who has stuck with this story although I have taken forever to update <3

<><><><><><><>

The blood inside my veins froze.

My entire insides clenched painfully. He was not one bit less beautiful than the last time I saw him. His tanned skin was smooth, his dark hair contrasting with it perfectly. My mouth was dry and the palms of my hands sweaty.

"H-Hayley?" he stuttered in astonishment.

My mouth opened, but no words came out. It was as though time had frozen me, but everything else around me was still in action. I couldn't think or move. I stood there, completely and utterly stupified, for goodness knows how long.

"Gabe..."

******* Two Hours Earlier *******

"What are you doing?"

Groaning, I slowly rolled onto my back and stared up at my best friend, frowning down at me. Her thick mane of blonde hair was a in a wave of restless curls, cascading down her back. With her hands planted on her hips, giving me a disapproving look.

I rolled my head to the side and registered that I was not in my bed, but in fact, beside it. No wonder I had been so uncomfortable. I fell out of bed. Again.

"Good question."

"You kept me up all night!" she said in frustration. "You were tossing, turning and crying in your sleep. It was a nightmare!"

"Apparently so."

"No pun intended." she added, rolling her eyes.

I gradually reeled myself into sitting position and sighed, my head sore. My eyes felt strained already and were stinging. It felt as though I had hardly got any sleep at all, despite having about eight hours. Rubbing my hands roughly across my face, I clambered to my feet and pushed past Imogen. I made my way into the bathroom, where I splashed the cold water onto my face. I was just leaning over the bench, elbows resting on the cool surface, when yesterday's news slammed back into my mind again.

Gabe.

My friends.

Coming today.

Suddenly, I realised why I felt so sick and sleep deprived. Ugh. Groaning louder than necessary, I shed my clothes and let myself into the shower stall. I put the water on as hot as it could go and let my skin burn, as painful as it was. I closed my eyes and inhaled the pain, my jaw clenched. It got to the unbearable point where I gasped and leapt backwards, my back slamming against the cool, pain of the glass. Trembling, I turned it down, my breath coming out in short, fast pants.

I. Was. A. Mess.

Pull yourself together Hayley, I scorned myself. I was not a weak, little girl, unable to stand up to people. I was Hayley Larson. I could do anything. With that mini-self talk, I emerged out of the bathroom and hastily slipped on some jeans and a tight, black top that clung to my body a bit too dangerously. I ran my fingers through my hair, glad that it fell down my back in natural tumbles. I applied minimal make up on and sprayed perfume. Once satisfied, somewhat, with my appearance, I fell back onto my bed sighing heavily.