6: THE MOVING HAND

PHOTO above - cover for the 1946 pulp fiction edition

The boys run into danger on the freighter Mirandu ...

**

Brad stood motionless in the crowded saloon staring at the shocking news article. His heart was pounding and he'd lost total awareness of the hot noisy room around him.

"Hey, junior scientist." Clint butt into his thoughts as he and Jimmy appeared at his side with bottles of coke. "What's up, huh? You look like you've gone into suspended animation."

Brad turned to look at them. When the two boys saw the expression on his face, they knew something definitely was wrong.

Clint's voice rapped out, "Hey, you okay?"

Brad thrust the newspaper at him, pointing at the headline. "You won't believe it. Read this."

He took the coke Clint handed him and swigged down a long drink, tingling all over from the shock of what he'd just read.

Jimmy read the news over Clint's shoulder, his eyes widening as Clint's brows shot up in surprise. Then Clint blew out an angry breath. "Jeez! They got this Professor Hyde-Morton too. It's the same exact story, Brad. The Pacific Rim Societies, a missing scientist, the weird cry, the little dragon."

"It's the Ching Tu Tong," Jimmy gritted. "Gotta be! What the hell are these scientists after that the tong is so determined to stop them?"

Brad shook his head. "We have absolutely no fucking idea. Professor Hyde-Morton is the man Fontenay addressed his inquiry letter to. He's the big shot at the Pacific Rim Societies. And now he's been kidnapped too."

"So we're looking for three scientists now." Clint rolled his eyes in exasperation. "Cripes! It's enough to give you a headache."

Jimmy took both Brad and Clint by the arm. "We'd better get the crap outta here. Too many eyes and ears. Let's go back out to the deck."

Clint folded the newspaper and tucked it under his arm as Jimmy pulled both him and Brad toward the nearest exit. They quickly made their way up to the top deck.

Brad had begun to feel more than just a little paranoid and, as they stepped out into the throng of passengers and animals, he asked, "Jimmy, do you think somebody on the boat could be watching us?"

The boy looked for a clear spot to move on to. "Could be. The tong might be watching to see what you're gonna do. If they know you're out here looking for your dad, they might kidnap you too. And Clint."

"And you too, buster," Clint added with a half-hearted chuckle. "You're deep in this shit now yourself. Damn, it's like a matinee serial - weird goings-on in the South Seas. Missing scientists. An island lost in time. Mystery! Adventure! Excitement! Enough to drive you fuckin' batty."