11: Renzo- First Kisses

to end the night with a bang

****

"AND THIS IS an allover painting."

"What's that?" Mila asked, interest in her voice.

"It's basically where a canvas covered in paint from edge to edge and from corner to corner, in which each area of the composition is given equal attention and significance," I answered her enthusiasm seeping through.

"Ah that makes sense," she nodded along, her eyes scanning the painting.

"Yeah, it's an interesting approach in my opinion. It shows how much the artist really pays attention to the detail." I smiled fondly.

"Was there a reason why you got into art?" She looked up at me, sipping on the complimentary drink we'd gotten when we came in.

"It was my grandma," I tell her. "Her dream was to become a painter, but then she met my grandpa and the rest is history."

"Did your grandpa not let her become a painter?" She focused her attention back to the painting in front of us.

"You could say something like that," I sighed.

"What do you mean by that?" Mila started walking towards the next piece. This being a diptych.

"I really like this," Mila scanned the artwork. "I like that, this is two parts... But I thought Layton only painted."

"Yeah he does," I said, eyeing the photograph. "But I'm pretty sure that this is a diptych commission."

"Diptychs are like those ancient tablets, right?" She took the final sip of her drink.

"Right," I nodded, feeling impressed. "How do you know?"

"My dad used to collect Renaissance artwork. So that term kind of just stuck with me." She replied with a fond look on her face.

"I don't know if I like you more than I did before," I blurt out.

"What?" Mila laughs.

"Honestly," I chuckle. "I'm still surprised that you agreed to go out with me."

"At first, I was considering turning you down," Mila said.

"Well, I'm glad you said 'yes'," I smile down at her.

"I am too," she grinned.

The rest of our date went the way I had planned it to be. After the gallery ended, I took Mila to the boardwalk. The entire time we were there, Mila had a constant smile on her face. Laughing and enjoying each moment. I silently thanked Finn, who had given me the idea earlier.

"Did you have fun?" I ask her. We were sitting on the beach and watching the sunset.

I dug my feet into the sand, playing with its softness. With my pair of shoes in one hand, Mila sat next to the hand that was slowly trying to grab hers.

She noticed my antics and chortled. "If you want to hold my hand, then just say so."

Feeling nervous, I went for it. Taking her hand, I interlaced our fingers and placed them on the sand. The sun was halfway into the horizon line, and it was a deep orange hue that only nature itself could produce.

"Tell me something about yourself," I tell her, watching the clouds go from a pink shade to a reddish-purple hue.

"I'm an Aquarius." She replies.

I turn my head and give her a weird look. Noticing it, Mila raises her eyebrows.

"What?" She locks her eyes with mine. "Do you not believe in astrology?"

"I think it's absolute bullshit."

"What, why?" She raised her voice.

"Astrology is pretty much a belief that humans are affected by the position of celestial bodies. If that doesn't sound fucked up, then I don't know what else does. Why should the alignment of planets have anything to do with my life?" I wasn't sure if my voice was loud, but I felt my body vibrate as I spoke.

"You're right about that, but weren't you ever curious?" Mila's eyes sparkled.

The beach had become completely orange, and everything I saw was lighted by the multicolored sky. There was also a light breeze that felt like it was combing through our hair.

"No, I haven't," I told her honestly.

"I get your point," she sighs, taking a deep breath of the salty ocean air. "I'm not saying I believe it, but I'm saying that it is an interesting outlook to life."

"I can get behind that," our hands were still linked. "But this doesn't mean that pseudoscience is of any interest to me. Because at the end of the day, pseudoscience is still fake."

"I can attest to that."

After that, I took Mila home with the remaining money we had on an Uber.

Telling the driver to wait once we reach her place, I walk Mila to her door.

"Thanks for today," she took out her keys, beaming at me.

Even in the dark night, the condo she was living in was in the center of the city. There were no signs of life ever stopping with the skyline that could be seen from the hallway outside her penthouse. The windows reflected the shape as if the skyscrapers were meeting with the sky.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" She noticed my gaze.

"It is..."

I stood there watching lines of car lights go up and down the streets of New York. Taking in this moment, I sighed.

"I hope you had fun," I tell Mila.

"You bet I did," she cheekily said, opening the door to her home. "Thanks again."

"Have a goodnight," I step away from her. Turning around, I head for the elevators.

"Wait!" Mila called out to me. She placed her bag down and ran to me.

Taking my face in her hands, she pulled me down and kissed me.

The euphoric feeling that crashed against me as if I were on a roller coaster made my heart leap. Soaring and feeling like I can't even feel anything that can give me such happiness, I kissed her back with vigor.

Mila pulled away panting. My arms were around her waist and she was flat against my chest. Our breaths and heartbeats were in sync.

"I don't think I've ever had this feeling while kissing someone." Her chest rose rapidly, her breathlessness matching mine.

I could say the same thing...