09. Rookie Sherlock Holmeses

I take them to my room as it's bloody cold in the attic!

"So, what do you guys think, then?" I say as I sit on top of my bed.

"Well, I think we're dealing with something paranormal," Ethan says like it is the hardest puzzle piece of the puzzle.

"I kind of already guessed that, Sherlock Holmes!"

He puts his right hand on his chest. "Okay, okay. I'm the only one using my brain here. Cut me some slack."

"Hey, why don't we try the diary again? Remember, words magically appeared on it at school?"

"You have a point there..."

You all really want to keep bringing up that insane journal, don't you...

"And I thought you were the nerd here," Allison says while sticking her tongue out to Ethan.

"You watch your phraseology!

"And I prefer the term: 'More Intelligent Than Anyone Else in the Room'.

"Besides, wearing glasses and knowing a bit of Physics doesn't make me a nerd!"

"And I prefer the term, 'Stop Being So Cocky and Focus!'" I say.

"See, Lindsey's smart too! She's like a scientist in Chemistry class," Allison interjects.

I did not expect compliments from this conversation.

"Really?" Ethan asks.

"Can we please focus now?" I tell them so that they can stop blabbering about well... anything.

"Oh, sorry."

I take out the journal and write,

"Who are you and how is this even happening?"

The words disappear and new ones resurface.

"As I have told you I am a distant relative of yours, Henry Fitzwilliam Knightley. I simply am in need of your assistence and time."

"Whoa!" Ethan looks obviously shocked right now.

"What help?"

"In time, in time."

"Dead end, again!" I say while throwing my arms into the air.

"Sorry, I thought the ghost would help." Allison says apologitically.

She really does seem sad. She only wanted to help. C'mon Lindsey, be a little less cold hearted!

"It's not your fault, Allison."

"But I thought we'd be able to help..."

"Wait! New words incoming!"

Ethan exclaims as he was the only one paying attention to the journal.

"Do not despare. You shall find answers but till then:

'Those ought we think are not,
Still they are where we think are not present,
Seem may difficult, but not you woe,
Find you will, where your heart is.'

Please, do consider these words.

Sincerely,
Henry Knightley."

"I wrote it down!" Allison exclaims.

Ethan stares at the small piece of paper in Allison's hands and says,
"I don't get it..."

"I think we just found a clue."

"What does it mean then, Als?" Ethan eyes her.

"Ethan, you can be so dull sometimes."

"Oh, really? Then please enlighten me."

"Look, the first verse says in simple words 'Those who are not here' 'those' can refer to the dead.

"Second verse is when we are sad that our loved ones are gone.

"Third and fourth verses mean that we shouldn't be sad because they will always in our hearts."

Ethan and I just stare at Allison, dumbfounded.

"What? I can say smart things too!" Allison exclaims.

"No one denies that, golden girl."
Ethan shakes his head playfully.

The grandfather clock in the hall strikes ten times. Even that clock is more than two centuries old. I sometimes wonder how it is still working.

"It's ten! I'm past my curfew!"

"Crap!" Ethan curses and quickly picks up his bag that was left disregarded on the floor.

Allison also packs up her things while Ethan turns the doorknob but,

Thud!

"Oi!" My brother, Dylan, and Ethan say simultaneously while rubbing their heads.

"Oh, I didn't know you had company, Lindsey." He says while still rubbing his head.

Ethan looks up at Dylan, looks back and forth between Dylan and me, qnd says quickly,
"Hi, I'm Ethan Ingram and this is my friend, Allison Crimsom. We were here for a school project. Mr..." He offers his hand while still rubbing his head with the other.

"No need for formalities. My name is Dylan Knightley, Lindsey's older brother." He shakes Ethan's hand back and also Allison's.

Allison nudges me at my elbow, "You didn't tell us your brother is so older than you."

"Didn't get the chance." I whisper to her.

"You're early?" I ask.

"I finished work earlier than usual today."

Really, just today?

"Why don't you two stay for dinner with us?"

Us?

"Oh no, we're already past our curfew. Please excuse us," Allison says.

Wow, both of them are so formal now.

"All right, good night."

"Good night."

They race out of the room.

"C'mon, I asked Ms. Bragge to delay your supper till I come home."

"A... o... kay.

I follow him into the dining room.

*Yawning* Sorry guys, first time late night updating

*Yawning* Sorry guys, first time late night updating. My head's literally spinning now. Gotta go!

P. S. Comments and suggestions will always be accepted.

Okay, now really, bye!:)