Chapter 35 - Like The First Time

After Benjamin had left, the hallways were filled with a silence only Arabella could hear. Nathaniel had kept a respectful distance from her, not mentioning anything about fulfilling her side about the bargain. But every time she caught him around the corner, or a glimpse of his shadow from when he checked up on her at night, her breath hitched in anticipation. Her wolf longed for his touch again, she missed the way his fingers felt on her skin.

She sighed, stepping out into the sunlight in her sandals and white sundress that ended just above her knees. Fall was fast approaching, the green leaves starting to fade into a duller brown. She wondered what she was doing this exact time last year, everything had changed so much in a short span of time. In Black Crescent, this would be the time they started preparing for the annual full moon festival. She missed home. The wooden floors, the smell of cinnamon cookies, the warm hands and smiles, the constant commotion, the never ending laughter. 

The wind drew soft rustles from the leaves of the forest, as though enticing Ara to join them. Yet somehow, she felt afraid to roam into it. She recalled the mysterious girl she had met in the forest with the reddest hair she had ever set eyes on.  

"You weren't sleepwalking Ara. You were being summoned." Summoned by who, or by what? Ara pondered, she had been so distracted by the news of her father's death and Benjamin's fate to think about Katherine's words.

"There is a world out there, out of this little bubble your mate has kept you in. Your people need you Arabella. They need their Alpha." Are these the same werewolves that Nathaniel is accusing of turning humans? Am I their Alpha? She wondered. She always knew the day would come for her to take over the pack, she had been trained all her life for this. She was the fastest, the strongest, the smartest amongst her peers effortlessly. It was the blood that flowed within her veins. Yet, was she really ready? And even if she was, how could she leave this place without being hunted down? How could she protect the ones she loved from Nathaniel?

If the werewolves were really planning to attack the castle as Nathaniel had said, it would be a bloodbath. They would be nothing more than a pack of rogues, disorganised and ineffective without an Alpha. They could not match up to the strength of the vampire army. It would be a massacre, she thought. The only real chance they would have is when they could garner their their full strength, during a full moon

____________________________________

Nathaniel scanned around the oval. Benjamin's absence was not unfelt, the advisors shifted uncomfortably in their seats. As if on cue, Xavier announced, "Prince Benjamin has arrived safely in Germany. He has been received by Freiherr Faust." I nodded, my cousin will be in safe hands.

The room fell to silence. Each advisor wondering what had happened to the cousins who were once best friends. They wondered if the rumours were true, if Benjamin had fucked the King's lover, and offered nothing but a look of sympathy to their King. 

Finally, Advisor Hemsworth spoke."Javier Enrique has pledged to provide his finest warriors and weapons to the cause. His daughter sends her regards." Vanessa, Nathaniel registered. He had no time on his hands to handle her antics, and he silently prayed she would find another vampire toy to waste her time on.

Nathaniel cleared his throat. "The full moon is approaching in approximately a month's time. Then, the werewolves strengths will be at the peak. They will not be prolonging the fight, they will attempt to infiltrate us within one night. There are rumours it will be a blood moon, which could extend their supernatural power. Witches are also most effective on this night. Make sure all our soldiers are more than adequately trained for this. We must never be complacent."

The advisors nodded their head in agreement. 

"If there is nothing else, you may be dismissed." Nathaniel spoke, offering a firm nod before standing up to leave.