Chapter two. - Edited!

‘Hey, Mistress?’ A female voice spoke up.

My head turned towards her direction as I answered, ‘Yes?’

Sophia, a twelve-year-old, was by the door standing with her head bowed. ‘Breakfast is prepared, Mistress.’

I smiled. Sophia was daughter of Lily, mother's hair stylist. They had lived in poverty ever since George, Lily's husband, abandoned them. Mother has brought them in and since then, they have been working as our butlers to pay back our kindness. Other than that, Sophia was a fun girl to pass time with too. Whenever she is free, I would try to play games with her or just talk to her.

'Of course. Thank you, Sophia. Have you eaten?' I asked, as I put on my flats.

'Yes, Mistress, I have.' I gestured to her to walk with me and she complied.

As we descended the stairs to the dining hall, Sophia and I talked about general things like school.

‘So, how are you liking your new school?’ I asked. Unlike me, who have an apartment near my school, Sophia went to boarding school where she stayed there for the weekdays and come back on weekends.  

'It's all good. I was first in level for my academic studies. Mummy said we could celebrate it soon, that is if you don't mind.' She grinned at me, her intelligent olive eyes twinkling.

 'Of course we could, Sophia.' I smiled back at her as we reached. 'In fact, we would celebrate it today.'

'Thank you, so much. Enjoy your breakfast, Mistress.' She thanked and bowed as she dismissed herself.

I walked in, greeted by the smell of fresh fried omelets.

‘Good morning, Alice, John.’ I greeted.

Alice and John were like my parents, especially when my real parents are in London. Which is always. Alice always have my wardrobe updated and John, well, he cooks the best lasagna ever.

‘Good morning, Amanda. How was your week?’ Alice spoke up first.

I just shrugged, ‘The usual.’

No one knew who I really was. What bloodline I came from. No one knew I was the Amanda Riley, next in line for the throne. It was for the good though, keeping all these a secret. If anyone knew, I’d be running away from so many cameras… I winced, just so many cameras…

‘You know, it’d be no trouble for us to get you out of that school and into a better one. Mayb—‘ I cut in.

‘It’s fine. I love it there. It’s just that if someone found out my real identity, I’m doomed. Like, really fried shit.’

‘Watch your mouth, Princess.’ John warned me, turning around from the counter and shooting me a dirty look.

‘Sorry.’ I bit my lip sheepishly. ‘It’s kind of a habit there.’

Alice, who had been engrossed with her magazine, looked up. ‘Back on topic, are you sure that you want to stay there? I mean, you have to travel three hours to reach there. Why not I apply you at a boarding school? It might just be easier.’

I swallowed my last piece of omelet, and then took a sip of my vanilla tea, trying to buy time.

How could I ever leave? Leave the guys? No way… Leave strange New Boy? Oh, fish, hell NO.

‘Amanda??’

‘Yeah? I mean, no. As in, yes. Wait, wait, wait. What are we talking about?’

Alice’s perfectly plucked right eyebrow arched up. ‘Transferring schools. What have you been thinking?’

‘Riiiigggght.’ I adjusted my fringe. ‘I definitely do not want to transfer. It’s in the middle of a semester anyway.’ I shrugged.