Chapter Three

Since they still had a while before the sun went down, the two girls got to talking. Lauren learned that the former strangers name was Camila. A very pretty name for a very pretty girl.

Camila thought Lauren was special. She fell in love with her life story and beautiful mind. She could easily talk to her for hours. And she did. The demons talked for hours.

The girls instantly hit it off. Maybe it was because they didn't have any other demons to relate to, or maybe it was because somehow they were destined to meet. Either way, they were enjoying each others company.

Camila glanced outside for a moment to find the sky turning her favorite shade of orange. That faint orange which meant the sun was going down. She smiled to herself and walked back inside.

"Come with me, I want to show you something." Camila exited and walked behind the shack before the older girl could respond. Lauren set her cup of water down on the table and followed her. "Can you climb?" Camila asked, already perched on a low branch.

"Not very well..." Lauren looked up at Camila with a confused look on her face.

"Here." The brunette held herself by her legs (with the help of her demon strength) and bent down, extending her arms to pull the girl up. The two demons sat in the tree behind Lauren's shack and watched the sun slowly dip farther and farther below the horizon.

"Beautiful isn't it?" Camila asked, her eyes still focused on the colorful clouds and the baby blue sky turning yellow. Orange. Pink. Purple.

"It sure is." Lauren responded, watching the way the light was casting shadows on Camila's face rather than the actual sunset.

"You're not even looking." Camila frowns and turns her head to face the older girl. Lauren quickly faces forward and watches the sun go down the rest of the way. The sky was now dark and so were the girls' eyes. They wouldn't revert back to their normal colors for another eleven hours.

Almost everyone in the town went inside to eat, calling their kids with them so the girls wouldn't be interrupted at all while hunting if they were lucky. Lauren was still planning on giving Camila half of whatever she caught because she felt really bad about making her lose that coyote.

Food around the forest has been scare for a while and it's only getting worse. Once all the animals were gone, where will the two demons go? They can't feast on humans, that would just be wrong... wouldn't it? The girls weren't technically human but it just didn't feel right.

The two demons hopped down from the tree and began discussing their hunting techniques. They decided that going separate ways and then meeting back at Lauren's shack later would be the best way to get more food. Camila went north and Lauren went South.

A couple hours later, the girls met outside of Lauren's shack and laid down the animals they caught. Birds, raccoons, a fox, and a possum. Lauren was setting aside her half to give the younger girl when Camila set her hand on top of Lauren's, halting her actions. Lauren stared at the soft hand that was touching hers before looking up at the brunette.

"You really don't have to. I'd rather share. We can have a potluck?" She suggests with a smile. Lauren nods and gathers their meals, taking it inside. The girls sit down on the couch and begin eating.

After dinner, Lauren stood in her doorway and Camila stood outside, her pockets stuffed with granola bars and crackers, and Lauren's jacket around her shoulders. "Will I see you again soon?" Lauren asked hopefully.

"Of course. I have to return your jacket sometime." Camila winks. "And thanks for everything. I'm glad I didn't snap your neck earlier, you're pretty cool."

"I'm glad you didn't snap my neck either." Lauren chuckles. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

Lauren watched Camila until she disappeared into the foggy night. She was glad she made a friend and she was glad she could finally have someone to talk to. Maybe living on her own wouldn't be so tough after all.