Chapter 42 - Part 2

• Dedicated to YOU!

                                                                       The Story Continues...

Brent P.O.V.

That voice must have been the most beautiful one I had ever heard. Aside from Liza's, of course. It brought hope. Hope, that not all was lost. Hope, that we could still survive. Hope, that we could get out of this nightmare.

Don't give up. Her voice whispered to everyone in turn, and I could feel the strength surging back into my bones.

I caught sight of the owner of the voice as the moon slid out from between the clouds. She stood proudly on the roof, her red hair flying around her face with the wind. A white bandage was wrapped around her neck, and I could just catch sight of specks of blood seeping through. She showed no signs of weakness though, and her face was stony as she glared down at the scene below her.

If Liza was an angel, then Rosie should be compared to the devil. A devil from heaven.

Elijah was the first to recover. His hand snapped to the gun on his hip, but Rosie didn't miss the movement either.

"Don't move." she ordered, her gun aimed directly at him, and his hand stilled. Her gaze suddenly turned to the rest of us. "In fact, none of you move. Everyone just stay very clam. Nobody will move until I say so. Understood?"

What was she doing? I thought in confusion, my eyes flickering back to the still body of Liza. Just shoot Elijah, and let's get the hell out of here.

Trust her, I told myself firmly. She knows what she's doing.

All of us remained unmoving as she carefully scanned the scene in front of her. I saw her eyes pass over Liza, but no emotion showed in them. Her stare was now fixed on something above her friend's body.

Finally, a sneer of hatred curled her mouth.

"You!" she snapped, pointing a finger towards Lidia. The muscles under Lidia's brown fur tensed, and she barred her teeth, another sliver of saliva dripping down Liza's neck.

"Answer my question. Are you Lidia?" Rosie continued, putting both hands back onto the gun.

Lidia didn't move. Her eyes were fixed onto the barrel of the gun, which could just be seen glinting in the dim light.

Rosie took aim. "I'm giving you five seconds to answer. 5, 4, 3," I saw Lidia's eyes tint with fear, but she still held her head defiantly, refusing to answer. "2, 1." Lidia stayed silent.

"Wrong answer." Rosie said, smiling sweetly. "But it doesn't really matter who you are anyway. What matters is that you have to get the hell off my friend."

"0."

A shot rang through the silence, sounding more like an explosion. It hit Lidia straight in the chest, and her face was an expression of shock as she tumbled backwards, her body curling in agony. She slammed down onto the concrete a moment later, and she didn't move again. Red liquid was already matting her fur together, and it pooled in dark splashes onto the ground.

Then it was silent again.

"Go get'em boys." Rosie said, lowering her gun. Everyone was still frozen, and I had no idea what she was talking about.

Then wolves streamed into the plaza. They wore red strips around their necks.

We're saved, I rejoiced, a smile starting to turn up the corners of my mouth. That was before I noticed more of Elijah's wolves slinking out of the darkness, lining up for battle. The way they positioned themselves unconsciously told me that they were much more experienced in battle, and to add to that, they had strength in numbers.