Chapter Ten

After two long, yet extremely fun days up exploring town, Camila and Lauren decided a lazy day would be the best thing for them. The girls slept in until the chirping birds woke them up at half past noon, but stayed in bed for a while, too exhausted to get up. It wasn't until Camila's bladder felt like it was going to burst that stood up from their warm spots.

Camila took the toilet paper roll and ran to the nearest tree, squeezing her legs together as she ran while chanting, "Gotta pee, gotta pee, gotta pee, gotta pee!"

Lauren stretched her arms and made her way to the kitchen area to see what she could get for breakfast or... lunch. She drummed her fingers on the shelf in front of her as she looked. She grabbed two water bottles, two granola bars, and two apples before making her way back to the bed. With her pillow propped up and her legs crossed, Lauren opened the book she was last reading and sighed contently. It was days like these where she was grateful she didn't have responsibilities like a normal teenager. No job to get to, no school work to do. Just doing the things she loved with literally all the time in the world.

The younger demon reentered the shack with a happy smile and plopped down next to her roommate. She laid there staring at the empty ceiling for a few moments before getting back up and walking over to her shelf. She found a piece of paper and a pen and wrote down the word 'stars'. She then took the paper over to the door and pinned it on an already existing nail.

Lauren looked up from her book. "What's that?" She asked, nodding her head at the paper on the wall.

"A list of things to buy." Camila explained and sat back down next to her.

The older brunette squinted her eyes at the paper. "It just says 'stars'" Lauren spoke.

"Exactly. Stars." Camila repeated like it was the most obvious thing in the world. Lauren looked at her, confused. "Stars." Camila reached up and brushed the air with her hands.

"I don't get it."

"For the ceiling, silly. Haven't you ever seen those stars you stick on your ceiling? They glow. I used to have some in my room back home. I'd stare at them for what felt like hours. I think I was trying to imagine myself as a star or something, I don't know. They were just really cool." She closes her eyes and tries to remember her old room. Her old house. Her old life. Lauren watched Camila sit with her eyes closed for a few minutes until she assumed she fell back asleep. Then it was back to reading.

Camila could remember her old room quite well. She spent a lot of time in there, after all. The girl wasn't a very popular one. Some might say she was the least popular in school. A lot would say she was the least popular in school. It was as if somehow everyone knew she was different, even before she began to feel the gradual transformation into becoming a demon.

She remembered a particular day at school she hated. It was a very bad day. Worse than usual. It was a gloomy day in 5th grade when Camila got to school late, which was an embarrassment as it is, but what was even worse is that she arrived late on Share and Tell Day. That meant all eyes were on her as she came walking in from the back of the classroom. She took her usual seat in the back and watched some boy present a rock he got in Hawaii last summer. Since presentations went in alphabetical order, Camila had to go up soon. She didn't like speaking in front of crowds. She didn't like speaking to anyone for that matter. But alas, her teacher made her go up anyway.

"What did you bring for us today, Camila?"

"I brought my favorite book. It's called Hogula Dread Pig of Night and it's about-"

Camila was cut off by Sandy, the most popular girl in all of school. "That book is for second graders. Camila, do you still read little kid books? You're such a baby!" She teased. Soon enough, Sandy got the whole class screaming, "Camila's a baby! Camila's a baby! Camila's a baby!"