Chapter Eleven

Since they enjoyed their lazy day so much, Camila and Lauren decided to have another one. It's not like they had anything better to do. Nothing that couldn't be done at a later time.

This time around, they were going to be prepared. They were walking into town to pick up a few things that would keep them occupied for the day. Hopefully. They didn't want to be complaining that they were bored every ten minutes like yesterday.

It was still fairly early and Lauren requested going to the coffee shop to wake herself up. She liked being alert in the morning. They entered the musty building, Camila first, who nodded thankfully at the older girl for holding the door open for her. Lauren took a seat slightly closer to the counter, but not by much. She still didn't like talking to certain people but Camila was right, she should really be more polite to the coffee shop workers. The only thing Lauren had against them was that they thought she was unusual. Maybe if she actually talked to them they would think otherwise.

Camila sat down in front of her a little while later but didn't have their coffees. Lauren looked at her questioningly, silently asking for an explanation. "They said they would bring the drinks to us. The machine needs maintenance or something." Camila said, beginning to twiddle her thumbs.

Lauren nodded and watched the workers. The short one was reading a booklet with a picture of the coffee machine on the front while the other girl stuck her head under the dispenser and hit the side of the machine.

The demon sighed and turned back over to Camila who was staring out the window. Lauren followed her gaze and realized she was looking at the rude cashier boy. He was walking in the coffee shop. Lauren rolled her eyes. "Of course."

Camila visibly tensed up. She didn't like the way he looked at her. It made her feel uncomfortable and dirty. She was thankful that Lauren reprimanded him (twice) about it. Hopefully this time he actually listened. She tried her best to look unfazed as he opened the coffee shop door. She looked straight ahead and watched him from the corner of her eye. He was getting closer. Her thigh began bouncing but stopped once she felt a hand on it. She looked down at the limb resting there. It was Lauren. She moved next to her and was protecting her once again. The older girl gave her a soft smile and Camila instantly relaxed. Somehow the girl was always able to make her feel at ease.

As the boy walked in front of them, he made eye contact with Camila and cocked his eyebrow. Then he saw Lauren and snapped his head back forward. He finally learned his lesson.

Lauren watched the boy walk up to the counter, still maintaining a soft grip on Camila's leg. Once the baristas turned around, Lauren noticed that they both rolled their eyes. He must have had a reputation for annoying the girls in town. She turned back around to Camila who was noticeably calmer.

"Thank you." Camila whispered and placed her hand on top of Lauren's, wiggling her fingers until they were between Lauren's.

The boy walked by again causing Lauren to turn her hand over so she could fully hold Camila's hand. She quickly brought their hands on top of the table and glared at him until he walked past them. As he walked in front of them, he took notice of their hands, mumbling a "Figures." to himself. Whatever that's supposed to mean. Once he was seated in the back corner of the building, Lauren began to let go of Camila's hand but the younger girl only tightened her grip. Lauren looked over at her. She had her arm on the tabletop and her head on top of it. "Are you okay?" Lauren asked, resting her head on her own arm.

"Just a little sleepy still. I'm used to getting woken up by the coffee." She explained, studying Lauren's face up close. "You have beautiful eyes, have I told you?"