Chapter Fourteen

After two whole hours of walking around the woods by the shack, Lauren and Camila went back inside. It was probably nearing 2am, and they were cold, and very hungry. In order to save money, the girls decided it was best to cut down on the dozens of snacks they were buying each week. Sure, they had to hunt for food more frequently but it'd be a positive outcome in the long run.

Or so they thought.

They couldn't seem to find any animals to eat tonight.

Sure there were birds and bunnies and skunks around but you can only get so much meat from a bird, bunnies are 'too cute to eat' according to Camila, and both girls downright refused to eat skunk. They're demons, they need big animals.

"There used to be so many animals around here, what happened?" Lauren huffed after plopping down on the futon.

"Well we have been hunting a lot more these days..." Camila sits next to her.

"But we couldn't have eaten all the animals in the area, it's impossible." Lauren frowns. "Maybe they know someone is hunting them..." The girls sit in silence for a few moments. "I'm hungry."

"We might have some snacks left." Camila gets up to check the cupboards. All that was inside was a few granola bars, water bottles, and a pack of raisins. Camila sighed and grabbed two waters and two granola bars. "The diner is open 24 hours, we can just go into town." She suggests.

"But our eyes, someone's going to see and then we'll be burned at the stake or something." Lauren grumpily opens up her granola bar.

"That's for witches not demons." Camila grins playfully.

"Whatever." Lauren tries to hide her smile. "They'll do something like that."

"Then let's just stay here until the sun goes up, duh. You're making it seem like we'll have these eyes forever." The younger girl teases.

"I'm just sooooooo hungry." Lauren puts her hand over her eyes and falls onto Camila's lap dramatically. "I might die."

"Immortal." Camila reminds the girl in a sing-song voice.

"Right... immortal." Lauren still wasn't sure. She needed to see to believe.

Ignoring Lauren's obviously skeptical tone, Camila changes the subject. "So... what shall we do to help pass the time?"

Lauren hums in thought. "Can you hand me my camera?" She smiles sweetly. Camila reaches over, careful not to drop Lauren off of her lap, and gets Lauren's camera for her. "Thanks, sweets." She cleans the lens with her shirt before turning it on. Camila watches her aim the camera up at her and snap a picture. "Oh." Lauren sits up. "Can I borrow your face?"

Camila giggles and nods. "What do you want me to do?"

"I just want a close up on your eyes." Lauren slowly zooms into Camila's face and focuses the camera on her dull, black orbs. "Perfect." She lowers the camera. "Thanks for being my model."

"You're very welcome." Camila pauses for a moment. "Wanna take some pictures of both of us?"

"Great idea! Can you help me open up the bed first, though?" The younger girl nods and they both stand up to unfold their bed. "I need to figure out how to put on a timer... Give me a minute."

Camila stretches her body out on the bed and turns over to watch Lauren. The older girl was hitting a bunch of buttons on the camera randomly. "You know you could always just read the manual." Camila suggests.

"Eh." Lauren waves the idea off. Camila smiles and crawls over to Lauren and rests her head on the brunettes shoulder to get a closer look at the device. Lauren freezes. Reaching from behind older demon, Camila pushes Lauren's hand out of the way to press a button on the camera. Lauren was too stunned to watch. Instead she turned and looked at Camila who was only a few centimeters from her face.