Chapter Fifteen

As time went on, the girls' money situation only got worse. They stopped buying snacks, couldn't buy new movies, and had to share everything they got in town. Their money was quickly being spent and they still hadn't come up with a way to get more.

The demons still went into town, mostly because they didn't want to be stuck doing nothing back at the shack, and still went to the coffee shop in the morning. They could only afford the smallest size drink and a sandwich, both shared between the two.

It was obvious the girls were eating less. They looked thinner and extremely tired, probably because they usually spent hours looking for animals to hunt and eat instead of sleeping. The ache in their stomachs was a constant feeling, never eating enough to fill them up. They desperately needed money, and fast.

While at the coffee shop one morning, Lauren was at the counter paying while Camila had her head down on a table. "Can I get uh..." Lauren paused to count her money. She rubbed the back of her neck. "Is water free?" She asks. The saddened barista nodded. She noticed their changed orders and how they'd always count their money while walking in. "Can I get two waters and the cheapest sandwich you have, please?"

"We'll bring it to you." She short barista smiled weakly. Lauren thanked her and sat down next to Camila. Even though she didn't know the girls that well, Ally wanted to help them. It was obvious they were in a tough situation and she couldn't just watch them come in every day looking miserable without trying to help. They've had a few conversations and they seemed like good people. She bit her lip in thought. Asking what was wrong might be rude and she didn't want to offend them accidentally... There must be something she could do.

"Hey, Mani..." The girl called out to her coworker. "We should help them." She nods at the girls sitting a few feet away. "They couldn't even afford a coffee today." She says even quieter than before.

The taller girl was already getting started on their order. "I'm making them two sandwiches instead of one, don't worry."

"Yeah but I mean... maybe we can give them some money? I'm not sure what happened, maybe they lost their jobs or got kicked out of the house or something. I mean it's obvious something bad happened and they don't have money." She says as she fills up cups of water for the girls.

"Let's just try talking to them first." She sets their sandwiches on a plate and nods her head, signaling Ally to come with her.

Lauren lightly shakes Camila until she's awake. "Our order is coming." The demons watch the baristas set two sandwiches and two waters in front of them, and then pull up chairs across from them. "Um we only ordered one." She tells them awkwardly.

"We know." Normani nods.

Lauren looks at Camila and then back at the workers. "We can only afford one." She elaborates.

"It's on the house." Ally smiles.

"Thank you but... why?" Lauren slowly slides the plate in front of her.

The baristas exchange looks. "You look hungry."

Camila takes the second sandwich and they begin eating in an awkward silence. It didn't look like the workers were leaving anytime soon. Another few moments of eating go by before anyone speaks up.

"So, my name is Ally and this is Normani, if you didn't know... Um we noticed you haven't been ordering your usual lately and we wanted to know if everything is okay." The demons exchange looks again. "You don't have to give us details or anything." She assures.

"Money is a bit... tight right now." Camila recites a phrase she's heard from time to time.

"Is there any way we can help?" Normani asks carefully.