Thirty Eight

I wake up and automatically think of yesterday. I gave in so easily. I always do when it comes to Jack. It's hard to stay mad at him and hate him. After laying in bed and checking my phone, I get up to brush my teeth and get ready for the day.

I shower, brush my teeth, change and do my makeup. All in a record time and I notice that my bathroom is completely empty. I should go buy some decorations for it. I don't make too much noise because Kaiden is most likely still sleeping and so are my parents.

The doorbell rings, sounding around my entire house. So much for being quiet. I finish putting on lip balm and walk down the stairs, running my hand through my wet hair, combing out the nappy parts.

Who would even be here this early. It's like 8:30. I open the door and my eyebrows furrow. Jack stands there with white roses and a McDonald's bag. A smile crawls onto my face. He actually went to buy food there.

I smile at the thought of him going inside of a McDonald's being completely lost, or through the drive thru to show off his car. My stomach twists when I think of him driving. The car crash...

"You make it seem like McDonald's is all I eat." I pout, opening the door wider to let him inside.

"I'm going to try the breakfast, just for you." He smiles widely at me, walking inside, pecking my cheek quickly which makes me blush like a fool.

I lead him into the kitchen and he sets the food and flowers on the counter. I go on the search for a vase and successfully find a clear glass one. I fill it with tap water and then take it over to where he is.

He's peeling off the plastic wrapping on them. Jack puts the bunch in the vase. I count how many there are and there's twelve. One dozen white roses. How cliché of him. I smile towards him. He's really the only one I can't stop smiling when I'm with.

I peck his cheek, "thank you."

"Really?" He whines. "I did all of this and all I get is a kiss on the cheek?"

I want to slap him across the face, sex is always on his mind and I'm not some toy. He can't ask for sex and get it whenever he wants.

"I don't want to have sex, yet." I shrug.

Not with him at least.

"I didn't say I wanted sex. Maybe more like a kiss on the lips?" He says it as if it were the most obvious thing he was trying to point out.

Liar.

I narrow my eyes at him, "sure." I raise my eyebrows at his sarcastic note.

I don't kiss him and just take a seat on the stool. He sits next to me and I fish the food out from inside of the bag. He bought the whole breakfast set, literally. He watches me do everything.

It's like I'm his mother and I'm preparing his food, but he's grown and thus is already made. He just needed to open the case. I open the clear plastic top and take the pancakes out, handing them to him. Maybe he'll like these?

He takes the black fork from the bag, picking around the pancake with a disgusted look on his face. I want to burst out laughing. Why does he hate McDonald's so much? Sure, elegant food is nice, but you need some fast food every once in a while.

"Do you like it?" I grin as Jack takes a bite of a pancake.

His face drops immediately as it enters his mouth. He doesn't chew or anything. He shakes his head slowly, quickly grabbing a napkin and spitting it out. I laugh at his pickiness. His reaction is like a little boy trying brussel sprouts for the first time.

"It's gross. Can we go get real food?" He emphasizes the word 'real' dramatically. "You look beautiful today, by the way." He cheekily adds and I roll my eyes.

I smile at him, "thank you and you look handsome." I pat his shoulder. "And yes, we can go get food. Just leave this here and eventually, Kaiden or my parents will come and eat this."

"Speaking of your parents, how are they?" Jack asks.

"I should be asking how you are. Mr. I text and drive." I say. "That literally scared me to death seeing you in the hospital."

"I'm good, baby." He reassures me. "Are you busy tonight?"

"I don't know, why?"

"Let me treat you and your family to dinner." He says and he sounds like someone so sophisticated.

I snort a laugh, "you aren't my parents' favorite person at the moment."

"I know, and that's why I want to take them out to dinner. I want to apologize to them for breaking your heart." He reaches over to grab my hand. "But before dinner, we need to get breakfast."

He gets up from the stool and so do I. I guess we'll talk through tonight's plans during breakfast. Not sure if my parents will want to go, but who'll turn down free food?

"I have to get my purse." I say.

Jack tightens his grip on my hand, "I'm paying." He looks me straight in the eyes.

"But-"

"No. Camila, I'm paying." He enunciates every word slowly like I'm some uneducated person who doesn't understand English.

"My phone?" I ask, trying to be slick and I would really grab my money.

"You don't need that. We're just going out quickly." Jack says and I keep quiet, looking down at our intertwined hands.

That's not fair. I'm just gonna sit there looking like a loser when he's on his phone. He's always on his phone when we go out to eat and barely pays attention to me. I decide to not argue against that because we both just got along.

{vote, comment, share}