Chapter 19

I entered the class room, and Usagi wasn't on his desk. He was usually the first person here. Aki came in, and I greeted him.

Aki: Good morning, Haru. This is actually my first time being this early. I'm still sleepy. How are you?

Haru: I'm doing okay.

I should avoid mentioning anything from yesterday.

Aki: That's good...Hey, remember that day when you promise me that we're going to hang out. Um...I'm taking your word for it, can you hang out with me this weekend?

Haru: Oh...about that. Sure, I guess...I'm free this weekend.

I totally forgot that I did promise something like that to Aki. I had no choice but to just go with it. I already broke his heart...what else could I do to mend it.

Aki: Do you want to do anything in particular?

Usagi came in to the class. I tried to look at him, but he avoided me.

Usagi: Good morning.

He was looking straight at the board.

Haru: Go...od...morning, Usagi.

Usagi opened his book and started reading. He was avoiding me for sure. I didn't know what else to say. I managed to catch a glance of his face. He looked like he didn't get that much sleep. His eyes were a bit red. I wanted to ask how he was feeling but he gave off a refusing atmosphere.

I didn't really know what else to do.

I think this is for the better...at least for now, until I figure something out.

I can't go on like this for too long.

I need to settle things with Usagi as soon as possible.

__________

Our morning classes ended, and Usagi quickly got up and left. Asami did the same thing. I had a bad feeling about this. There was a cloud of negativity surrounding me.

I wondered what happened to Asami. I knew for a fact that he was apathetic to everyone except with Aki, but today was different. He came in to class without saying a word. I greeted him, but he didn't even bother saying anything and not to mention even look at me.

Aki and I were left behind.

Aki: It looks like it's just the two if us.

Haru: Yea...

Aki tried to lighten up the mood and went back to his usual extremely positive attitude. It worked a little on me.

Aki: Do you wanna go to the cafeteria?

Haru: No, I'm good. I brought food from home.

Aki: Homemade lunch, huh? Did you cook it, Haru?

Haru: Yes, it is. No, My mom made it for me. I know some simple recipes. I just don't have time to cook.

Aki: Really? Maybe one of these days, you can make me something.

Haru: Ah...sure. It's not that great.

Aki: If it's made by Haru, I am pretty it will taste great!

He made me laugh for a bit. It was odd for a guy to cook for another guy.

Then again, I know now that Aki likes me.

He would appreciate anything coming from me.

Lastly, I was in no position to even say that since I like boys too.

Aki: Oh...So, where do you to eat? I'll go with you.

I forced a smile and pretended to be enthusiastic. Usagi and Asami's out of character behavior was still bothering me.

_________

I walked to the Japanese garden alone. Aki asked me to wait for him since he had to buy his food. After a few minutes, Aki showed up, and we started eating.

Aki: Haru, stop worrying about yesterday. I'm okay. I want to see a genuine smile from you.

Aki saw right through me. It was true that I was still worrying about yesterday, but that was just a part of a bigger problem. He poked my cheek and laughed. His genuine laughter and sparkly eyes made me smile.

Aki: There you go. You look much cuter when you're smiling. I mean, you always look cute...in my eyes.

Aki was doing his best to brighten up my mood.

Aki: I know our conversation was cut short earlier. What do you want to do for our...um...dat--I mean, what do you want to do this weekend?

Haru: I don't really have anything in mind.

Aki: Hmm...we can go to the mall, see a movie, or grab a bite somewhere. Do any of that sound good to you?

Haru: I don't really want to go out. How about...um...we can just play video games or something?

To be honest, the reason that I didn't want to go out was because I didn't have money. I used all my allowance to buy clothes. I really wanted to see this cool anime movie, but I didn't want Aki to pay.

Aki: Oh sure, we can do something like that. I love playing video games. Can we play at your house?

Oh no, not again! My fujoshi mom would be all over this...

This is bad.

Should I suggest something else?

It would probably worse if I came over to his house...

I don't want to imagine what will happen to me...to my body...if by any chance, we are left alone.

The safer choice is my house. My mom and Hideki will be there to protect me. I'm pretty sure Aki will not dare to do anything funny.

Haru: Um...I guess. We can...stay at my house.