Part 1

It was cancer. The fatigue, the lack of hunger, the weight loss; it all lead to Leukaemia. My Dad was concerned when I wasn't sleeping or eating and we went to the doctors. And, it was cancer. So far, he's the only one who knows- my dad. I haven't seen Scott since the diagnosis which was yesterday afternoon. I haven't really done anything. Just lain around, watching the tears form in my dad's eyes every time he sees me; thinking about how ill I am- or am gonna get.

I get ready for school, throwing on a white T-shirt and some jeans.

"You sure you wanna go to school?" My dad asks concerningly.

I nod back, looking him in his sad eyes. He sighs.

"Dad, I'm fine. I still have a few days until-"

"I know." He says, referring to my upcoming chemotherapy.

🍃🍃

I arrive at school in my jeep and see Scott climbing off his bike. We greet each other then walk into the busy hallways of our school.
Someone accidentally bashes into me and I wince. Scott notices.

"You okay man?" He asks, his eyebrows furrowed, peering at where I'm clutching my side.

I nod, looking away quickly. He sees me quickly drop my arms by my sides as if nothing happened.

"Stiles, what's up?" He asks again.

I feel a lump forming in my throat. Don't cry. I look up, trying to suppress the tears.

"Nothing... I'm fine." I say, shrugging.

"Okay..." Scott says, looking slightly dazed.

I get through the day without Scott smelling my illness. We only had one class together anyway and he had lacrosse practise at lunch- I quit this morning. Coach was pissed, but then of course I had to explain as to why I was quitting because clearly the office didn't tell him. He said he was sorry.

As we're stood in the parking lot, Scott senses (finally) my anxiety.

"Stiles, seriously, you're not okay. What's up?" He asks, standing nearer to me, looking me in the eye. I try to avoid his stare but it's nearly impossible.

I fidget with my sweater sleeves before opening my mouth to speak.

"Scott," I begin, my voice shaking and nervous, "um.. I don't know how to tell you this..." I say, looking up into his confused eyes.

"What is it?" He asks, raising a concerned eyebrow, "Stiles, you know you can tell me anything." He says.

I breathe in deeply. "Scott... I, I- I have cancer." I say, shutting my eyes, waiting nervously for his reaction.

"What?" He asks, in disbelief. He bites his thumb and looks at me uneasily. The noise of my pounding heart is the only thing to break this painful silence.

I pause, which is followed by a heavy sigh.

"Yeah, I have-"

"Don't say it again, Stiles!" He snaps, cutting me off. He wipes a tear that's slithering down his face and looks away from me.

"Wh-wh... When? When did you-?" He begins, unable to get his words out.

"Yesterday. It's a type of Leukaemia." I answer back, looking at the ground.

For what seems like forever passes with deadly silence. Suddenly he spins around, his eyes in pain to look at me, and hugs me tightly. I hear him sobbing softly in my ear.

"I'm so sorry..." He whispers through tears.

I pat his back and hug him back.

"I know." I whisper back.